Making a very basic filtering system

sotal

Again not sure if this is the right place for this but I know a few of you have made filtering systems for your own biodiesel manufacturing.

I've been doing a quick bit of research but can't quite find exact details on a few bits.

First of all are the "filter socks" any good. Typically they seem to be quite large - about 80cm long with about a 20cm diameter, which in my head should be at least 5 gallons.

Secondly what Micron level is good enough for cars? I have heard 10 micron being quoted a lot, but also read a lot of people disagreeing some saying 5 micron some saying everything should be filtered to 1 micron.

Thirdly all the ones I have seen say they are suitable for Veg Oil, can you also put diesel through them or will it affect anything?

Fourthly how do you clean them? Or are they disposable?

Fifthly Can anyone recommend anything better?

Sixthly Does anyone know a good place to buy them cheap other than ebay?

I think that's all for now! Thanks in advance

Guest noggy

how many microns you filter it too, all depends on how much you love you engine really... diesel shouldnt make any differance to the filter either, i believe they are disposible atleast the ones ive seen are, and you can generally see when they are full of carp because the WVO stops running through.

One write up I read on using used veg oil told you to put the oil into a container with a convex bottom with a tap fitted at the lowest point then leave the oil for 2 to 4 weeks. The idea being any lumps sink to the bottom and any condensation that had been absorbed buy the oil would also end up at the bottom with the oil floating on top. Then drain off the rubbish until clean oil starts to run out. I know this is not ideal but may be a start in the right direction until you have your filtrs sorted out. Also if you heat the oil it will run through the filters quicker....hth...