More parabolic spring fitting advice please

skywalker482

Hi all nice to be here so much knowlege and better than trawling through my mountain of secondhand lro magazines for answers.....

I have a 109" ex military series 3 full canvas with extended 1 ton shackles I am going to buy parabolics (2 leaf front 3 leaf rear) and pro comps for her, decision made.

I have some worries though after reading some of the threads on here about prop shafts not working (being long enough) and bellhousing getting in way etc etc.....

Please can someone clarify all this for me so I know what I'm doing when the kit arrives. Will i need to remove the 1 ton shackles to make it drive properly, I use my landy daily on road and will use her for field work (lamping etc)

many thanks

Jamie

I had a 109" and fitted extended shackles and paras. The total lift with this set-up was about 2" and the ride was less harsh. Steering was a bit lighter and the handling in general was better. I had no other issues with this set-up.

Les.

Same here, i was running parabolics with extended shackles and no problems. Only issue would be if you got excited and fitted much longer shackles on the front then the prop fouls the cross-member... Everything should be fine for you though...

I did the same, and found the steering was very light. Also I had problems with the front prop yokes fouling on the UJ next to the front diff. I tried castor correction wedges, and they worked. The only problem with them is they work ,loose and I was constantly having to retorque the U bolts.

In the end, I swapped back to standard shackles. Then I snapped a front spring! So I upgraded to 3 leaf fronts. (I have a heavy PTO winch on the front) however, its is now just as choppy a ride as it was on standard springs.

I don't think parabolics are as hard wearing as standard springs, mine gets used a fair bit off-road, and did a trip to Morocco last year. I have already had to replace the front shock absorber bushes twice, and the rear shocks also will need new bushes very soon. They have done 12k miles since originally fitted.

Mine is also a 109 Soft Top.

I wonder if the spring snapping was due to wrap? Mine have been through hell and (touch wood) are still OK.

Was previously discussed here :

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;hl=parabolic

In the end, I fitted 3 leaf versions on the front. No more trouble since, but they are a firm ride! The rears are very soft in comparison, and I am seriously thinking about putting another set of 2 leafers on the front.

Another possible cause apart from axle wrap is over-articulation? There are no check straps on the vehicle, and when I was running the extended shackles I could get some remarkable angles of articulation which could have over stressed the spring. Or it could have just been faulty. With the standard shackles, the bump stops actually touch the axle before things get too twisted.

Maybe anyone fitting extended shackles for the purpose of raising ground clearance should consider extending the bump stops to reduce the amount the spring bends?

These spring do suffer from wrap, but nothing that I would consider excessive. I know some with powerful engines have designed anti-wrap systems, but mine is a lowly 2.25 petrol and hardly has the power to spin a wheel let alone bend a spring! The only symptom I get of spring wrap is in 2wd when setting off from a standing start, it needs good clutch control to prevent a mild kangaroo effect caused by the rear springs winding up slightly.

I don't think parabolics are as hard wearing as standard springs, mine gets used a fair bit off-road, and did a trip to Morocco last year. I have already had to replace the front shock absorber bushes twice, and the rear shocks also will need new bushes very soon. They have done 12k miles since originally fitted.

Shocks (and consequentially their bushes) have to work much harder because parabolic springs don't have the inherent friction damping properties of conventional leaf springs.