Oil pressure switch

V8david

Hi again everyone. Since putting the motor back together (3.5 V8 Efi), the only oil leak I have (so far!) is from around or through the oil pressure switch on the oil pump cover.

Can't tell if it's coming through the switch itself or the sealing washer so I've got a new switch, with washer.

I'm changing the oil very soon so I just need to know if I can change the switch over with the pump in situ? Will removing the switch mean that the oil pump will need re-priming. Ideally I want to empty the oil, swap the switches, put in new oil, job done! No more leaks! For now!

Cheers

David

Guest noggy

yes, just a case of draining the oil and swapping the switch over,

or you could not drain the oil, and do it really fast and then just top the engine up... it does get a little messy but ive done it :P

or you could not drain the oil, and do it really fast and then just top the engine up... it does get a little messy but ive done it :P

:lol: Nice one noggy, cheers mate. Did think about the quick swap but as I'm draining the oil anyway I'll be ok!

you dont have to drain the oil ................. when the engine is at rest the oil level is well down in the sump just below the windage tray..............

When you undo the old switch a very small amount of oil will out of the oil gallery that it sits in...............here ne are talking an eggcup full.

Often the actual switch body leaks .................... the quality is poor, regardless of supplier.......... I usually get through at least one per year.

:)

Ian

you dont have to drain the oil ................. when the engine is at rest the oil level is well down in the sump just below the windage tray..............

When you undo the old switch a very small amount of oil will out of the oil gallery that it sits in...............here ne are talking an eggcup full.

Often the actual switch body leaks .................... the quality is poor, regardless of supplier.......... I usually get through at least one per year.

:)

Ian

Cheers Ian, that's good to know. I can just swap them as and when... Annoying thing is there are no other leaks now, just this tiny bit through the switch. Better touch a big bit of wood now! Probably go outside to find the sump contents on the drive :lol: