OBD or OBD-II

lemains

Hi all,

Does anybody have a Discovery 96 SE7 (4.0 liter, V-8 engine)?

I would like to buy an OBD Reader for my Disco '96 and I was wondering if you could help me to get the right one.

Should I be looking for an OBD or OBD-II Reader?

Which of these OBD protocols does my car use?

J1850 PWM

J1850 VPW

ISO9141-2 (KWP 1281)

ISO14230-4 (KWP 2000)

Thanks a lot,

Welcome to the forum,from your spelling I guess you are in the US/Canada ? If you are then your 96 Disco will be running Gems so you should be able to get an OBD scanner off the net/E-bay which will work.If it is not NAS spec,ie running the 14 CUX system then you have a problem.There are only a few options open to you,the cheapest being from Black box solutions.They sell on the net but seem to change product names /specs quite often.The other options are alot more money,probably not worth it for a single car.

Welcome to the forum,from your spelling I guess you are in the US/Canada ? If you are then your 96 Disco will be running Gems so you should be able to get an OBD scanner off the net/E-bay which will work.If it is not NAS spec,ie running the 14 CUX system then you have a problem.There are only a few options open to you,the cheapest being from Black box solutions.They sell on the net but seem to change product names /specs quite often.The other options are alot more money,probably not worth it for a single car.

Thanks Ally,

I am in Costa Rica.

How do I find out if my Disco is a 'NAS spec' or '14 CUX'?

Thanks,