Dip Stick

Resurrecting this old  thread because I'm on the drive wrestling with a Brutepart dipstick tube!

My old tube sheared off - thats it in the picture I posted further back in this post - the shiny one, just before I installed it. The pipe fractured inside the nut and I've removed it, luckily being able to remove the broken bit too below the nut too.

However the replacement tube, the one from the blue box, will not fit the hole. Its the correct number for a 200tdi - ERC8980 but the thread is ever so slightly fatter and will only go down the hole about 3 turns before jamming solid. I put my vernier on it for a rough estimate and its definitely much wider threads than the original one.

I can easily hand-turn the old brass nut from the broken tube back in, all the way down, but this Bp one won't turn further by hand than about 2 turns and will only go one more turn with with the spanner and then jams. Threads are intact, no cross-threading, just too big to fit.

So, am I missing something obvious, or is this yet another example of Brutepart's rather sloppy quality control?

(PS I've ordered a genuine parts one from the local LR dealer and will hopefully get it tomorrow).

1 hour ago, western said:

I would guess poor quality control, this dipstick tube fits all previous 4 cylinder engines as well. 

Thanks Ralph. I'll have a good comparison with the Genuine Parts one tomorrow. I thought I'd be smart and replace the tube when I had the misbehaving alternator out to replace, only to have the whole plot grind to a halt because of the dipstick fiasco! 

I bought a new **** part dipstick tube last month. I couldn't stop the oil pissing out of it. In the end I put the old one back in (which really has seen better days) and secured it at the top with a p clip and a little bracket to the long nut under the turbo on Uncle's advice. Hopefully that will stop it falling in.

It's here on the bench free to anyone stupid enough to try fitting it to their engine ?

Mo

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

I bought a new **** part dipstick tube last month. I couldn't stop the oil pissing out of it. In the end I put the old one back in (which really has seen better days) and secured it at the top with a p clip and a little bracket to the long nut under the turbo on Uncle's advice. Hopefully that will stop it falling in.

It's here on the bench free to anyone stupid enough to try fitting it to their engine ?

Mo

Must have been the same batch! 

The nuts are completely different too. The original one I had is a 22mm spanner fit and the ***part one is 19mm yet has larger threads. I just wonder how many people have bought these and forced them into the hole and are now wondering where the extra oil is dripping from! 

Thats an excelent idea to secure the top - it was the waggling about that fractured it.

Ok update on this. 

Anyone changing their dipstick tube be very careful as the Brutepart one is not the correct thread pitch/size (at least on the one I got). 

The Land Rover Genuine Parts one arrived this morning and went in perfectly, easily rotated by hand and nipped up snugly at the end.

Buyer beware!  (PS - LR part was only £5 dearer than the Bp one and well worth it to make sure it actually fits!)