Smaller air filter

On a 2.5na d can or will it run ok without an air filter in the air filter housing, can the plastic half cover around the filter be removed without any ill effect and use the filter that way?

Can the standard one be replaced with a smaller type filter? I was thinkng of using the cake shape one instead of the swiss roll type.

Thanks Mark

i dont know with specific regard to the 2.5na but i am running a 19J (TD) filter which i believe is smaller with a 200tdi and that runs fine.

Plastic half cover can be removed but isint it there to protect the filter at the inlet point?

I was wondering what the plastic shrouds purpose was but sounding more stupid protecting it from? heat? My filter was choked up with soot thought I might need a chimney sweep and not an air line. I cut the shroud off as it would not come off on its own or maybe it's not ment to come off at all. Mines now off.

So I could try a smaller filter my 2.5 ldv series runs on the small cake type.

Thanks for the info

Mark