Clunk when taking up drive

Boro

1995 300 tdi, its covered approx 152k now and there is a very noticeable clunk every time drive is taken up, im guessing that its slack in the diffs but what else wears giving play in the drive system? how easy is it to strip down and overhaul the diffs? likely cost (parts only)?

1995 300 tdi, its covered approx 152k now and there is a very noticeable clunk every time drive is taken up, im guessing that its slack in the diffs but what else wears giving play in the drive system? how easy is it to strip down and overhaul the diffs? likely cost (parts only)?

befor striping your difs look very close at your props there may be a small amount of ware in the uv joint if that is the case a siple and cheep repair and tend to go before a diff

regards mark

My Range Rover used to do the same. It had rebuilt UJs and recon Diffs, but carried on clunking for the entire time I owned it. Never got better or worse apart from after a whole morning of off-roading when the clunk did get louder and more severe. After lunch it was back to it's old clunky self.

It's a Land Rover..........they do funny things like that!!

On a slightly more helpful note, it might be a sign of wear in the transfer box. If the props and the diffs are ruled out, I'd be looking at the front and rear output shafts from the transfer box... In fact, while the props are off, you might as well have a good look...

My Range Rover used to do the same. It had rebuilt UJs and recon Diffs, but carried on clunking for the entire time I owned it. Never got better or worse apart from after a whole morning of off-roading when the clunk did get louder and more severe. After lunch it was back to it's old clunky self.

It's a Land Rover..........they do funny things like that!!

On a slightly more helpful note, it might be a sign of wear in the transfer box. If the props and the diffs are ruled out, I'd be looking at the front and rear output shafts from the transfer box... In fact, while the props are off, you might as well have a good look...

would also be worth having a look at the a-frame ball joint and the bushes on the upper links my series one had a clunk changed them and it was fine

Cheers for the suggestions guys, i dont think its the uj's although i do have a set i will be fitting shortly so will know for sure shortly, certainly slack being taken up when moving off rather than a suspension component clunking