Hello everyone

Rolly

Hi all, just joined up to the best Landrover site I've ever seen, you all deserve hearty congratulations.

I've got a 1996 Tdi with a few mods and a few problems you might be able to help me with.

For starters my auto overheats on the beach and recently while driving up some rather steep hills with a load of camping gear in the back. The auto was rebuilt 12 months ago but the problem was there before. I'm about to fit a much larger transmission cooler so we'll see how that goes.

Second problem is the car started jerking under acceleration as if the fuel was cutting out, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the water seperator and the fuel pump (the cam operated one) is only about 12 months old. Problem is it keeps doing it and is getting worse. Yesterday driving the 10km to work it hardly did it at all but driving home it was a struggle to climb a hill and this morning it's sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

The EGR was blanked off when I bought it two and a half years ago (did they have them on Australian models?)

Anyway, looking forward to any replies and getting to know everyone.

PS, this is my first post so tell me if I've done anything wrong.

Welcome Rolly!

I'll cut right to the chase,

Im fairly confident in saying that your problem most likely lies with the small 'lift pump' on the side of the engine. Although you say youve cleaned it, it is the seals/diaphragm that go and it gradually stops pumping fuel through the filter to the injection pump.

It is a common failure and most importantly, a relatively inexpensive one.

Good Luck

Welcom to the best LR forum, as you so nicely say. :)

Try to get a genuine pump, there are some rubbish made in China ones out there at half the price but they don't last.

You can test the pump using the hand lever: undo the 10mm bolt on top of the filter housing first to avoid overstressing the pump if it happens to work. If the pump doesn't seem to work, turn the engine a bit and try again a few times. If there is still no go, you need a new pump.

Guest DiscoTD4
Hi all, just joined up to the best Landrover site I've ever seen, you all deserve hearty congratulations.

I've got a 1996 Tdi with a few mods and a few problems you might be able to help me with.

For starters my auto overheats on the beach and recently while driving up some rather steep hills with a load of camping gear in the back. The auto was rebuilt 12 months ago but the problem was there before. I'm about to fit a much larger transmission cooler so we'll see how that goes.

Second problem is the car started jerking under acceleration as if the fuel was cutting out, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the water seperator and the fuel pump (the cam operated one) is only about 12 months old. Problem is it keeps doing it and is getting worse. Yesterday driving the 10km to work it hardly did it at all but driving home it was a struggle to climb a hill and this morning it's sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

The EGR was blanked off when I bought it two and a half years ago (did they have them on Australian models?)

Anyway, looking forward to any replies and getting to know everyone.

PS, this is my first post so tell me if I've done anything wrong.

Welcome Rolly

I have a 1997 auto and am interested in what symptoms to look out for when the gearbox overheats ?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Does it have EDC (Electronic Diesel Control)? You can tell if it has, as there will be an airflow meter between the airbox and turbo. If so they have a throttle potentiometer that can cause problems with the engine going to tickover at part throttle settings, this usually is accompanied by the check engine light coming on. Again if EDC the ECU connections can corrode and cause problems as well this can be cured by disconnecting the connector and cleaning it out with solvent cleaner.

Disco TD4

I think you should get a warning light on the dash if the transmission starts to overheat. There is/was a sensor in the pipe work near the cooler on mine.

Thanks everyone, the car's at my mechanic's at the moment, I try to do most jobs myself but there are times when expertise gives better results than me standing there scratching my head. The lift pump was working when I changed the fuel filter last week so I'll just sit back and wait for the good or bad news.

There is a warning light on the left hand top of your instrument panel that comes on when the auto overheats, it's a little red temperature gauge that I hope you never have to see.

I'm going to drain the transmission fluid and disconnect & blow out the pipes (they might be blocked up a bit) that lead to the transmission cooler and then whack in a big new cooler I aquired through work (hydraulics company, comes in very handy sometimes, especially when you're the purchasing officer).

Thanks again and I'll let you all know how thing went as soon as I find out

Problem solved, dirty connection on the wire for the fuel cut-off switch would you believe. Just got the phone call and I'm still shaking my head but hey, it took the mechanic 3 days to figure it out so I should'nt be too hard on myself. At least now I've got an answer that might help someone in the future.

Thanks for the help everyone and happy Discovering.