td5 clutch pressure switch?

Skanny

Hi fellas,

Can anyone confirm why there is what looks like a pressure switch in the hydraulic clutch line on the TD5's?

I bought a salvage vehicle and the mice have been under the bonnet and have completely chewed through the 2 wired going to this switch.

Everything appears to work still though apart from the air suspension but thats another matter! :(:angry:

• 3 weeks later...
The clutch switch sends a signal to the ECU to throttle down (I think) something to do with stopping kangarooing. It doesn't seem to matter much whether it is connected and working or not.

Its there for the cruise control..All TD5 D2 have the ability to have it added. All the wiring is there ..Just add 2 switches and it works..touch brakes or clutch and it goes off.

The clutch switch exists to switch in and out the "ASC" or Anti Shunt Control - the anti kangaroo system which works so badly :rolleyes:

Basically the ASC is disabled when you put your foot on the clutch so that the revs die back immediately for gearchanges - in theory anyway! When you take your foot off the clutch, it cuts back in again so that rapid pumping of your foot on the pedal doesn't produce lots of jerking and shunting.

Disconnecting the switch (or indeed chewing through the wires) means that the ASC is disabled, some people prefer it this way, others find it too jerky. Never quite decided which I prefer. It is not there purely for cruise control as it is also fitted to Defenders :)

The clutch switch exists to switch in and out the "ASC" or Anti Shunt Control - the anti kangaroo system which works so badly :rolleyes:

Basically the ASC is disabled when you put your foot on the clutch so that the revs die back immediately for gearchanges - in theory anyway! When you take your foot off the clutch, it cuts back in again so that rapid pumping of your foot on the pedal doesn't produce lots of jerking and shunting.

Disconnecting the switch (or indeed chewing through the wires) means that the ASC is disabled, some people prefer it this way, others find it too jerky. Never quite decided which I prefer. It is not there purely for cruise control as it is also fitted to Defenders :)

I'm interested to read about this clutch pressure switch.

I have posted on forums before about not being able to slip the clutch, e.g. when I'm approaching a roundabout in 2nd, if I find enough space to make a quick getaway. The car won't really rev at all and I have to slow right down to get 1st. It's nearly dangerous sometimes.

I would have the clutch depressed so is the ECU supressing the revs?

Can I just disconnect this sensor and get the TD5 to behave like a 'normal' car?

Cheers

Andy