I am after a picture....

Mark

Does anyone have any pictures of under the bonnet of a 300TDI Discovery that has ABS and a safari snorkel (on any other snorkel for that matter) fitted?

I am really interested in how it gets to the airbox...

Mark

From memory, there is a round section on the front and side of the airbox. The Safari snorkel exits the inner guard as a flexible, soft rubber hose and is hose-clamped onto the side of the airbox well away from the ABS.

Rolly, That sounds like it enters using the same input as the standard cold air duct from the inner wing....

A picture when it returns from the menders would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have the same set up you are on about and can post a picture tonight if you like?

This is how its fitted / routed you need to blank the existing entry off which comes in the kit and make a new entry with a 102mm cutter if i remember <_< to make a neat job of it.

Also the airbox gets mounted slightly further forward with the new brackets that they also provide in the kit.

There is no flexable pipes though they are all rigid plastic (part 21 on diagram) although flexi would have proved better but i found the measurements they give for drilling the hole in the inner wing fell exactly in the centre of a round raised part of the inner wing ;)

And the template for the outer wing is excellant once i had spent ages setting it up and fixing it then checking and treble checking before i started drill the out side of my car :o

Also you will have to remove the top turbo hose to get your small drill in for the inner bit.

Hope this helps any other questions let me know.

Regards

Dougie

Dougie, That is exactly the sort of info I was after. Some pictures of the finished setup would still be very much appreciated, especially around the amount of space left at the front of tha airbox after it has moved forward - this is all part of my mission to get a second battery into that space!

Cheers

Mark

Mark is this what you are after?..........

DSCN3566800x600.jpg

my standard battery is 160mm and would fit here with some teasing and my breathers will need to be put on tight 90 elbows which was the plan to start with but got carried away and didn't have them at the time.

DSCN3570800x600.jpg

?The standard size will also fit this way once you have moved some gubbins that the ECG was connected to.

DSCN3567800x600.jpg

A wider look at how the rigid duct i was on about fits down the side of the air box once you have moved it about 50mm in and the same forward (dont my breather pipes look new and shiny? there nearly 18mths old :P )

And just if you were interested this is how the breathers finish.

Not seen it done before (probs has) so i may need to copyright this idea :hysterical:

But i was sick of them getting ripped off every time you went down a tight lane 4_2_1041.gif

DSCN3569800x600.jpg

I think it looks good,neat and practical too icon_thumbs1.gif

Hope this helps Mark if i can help further let me know

Cheers 13_4_91.gif

Dougie

PS the duct tape is currently keeping holding a bin bag in place to keep my car dry while i wait for the delivery of my new window regulator!

Dougie,

excellent pictures, cheers!

One question though - is your truck EDC or mechanical injection? I don't think I have enough movement on the air flow meter to move the airbox that far over... :(

This is what mine looks like:

gallery_92_604_70555.jpg

When I looked at the diagrams for the Safaris I couldn't figure out how to get one to fit with the ABS and mass flow, is that an auto Mark? The ABS is on the other wing on rangies, the auto has the cruise control over on the drivers side.

I think you would have to look at make an exit on the side and lead a hose up to a standard safari exit point or for other standard snorkel top. The raised round section just aft of the box is the 200tdi air hole, so a 200tdi snorkel would be entering there.

Time to consider another air filter housing and some ducting?

probably all stuff you know I guess looking at your collection lr's

My other concern was the MFS and how water tight that is anyway ????

Steve, yep it's an Auto....

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion - that I need to see what other airboxes I can get to fit. I robbed the one off my 200 tdi, but couldn't really get it to fit well....

To be fair the snorkel is a means to an end (see my thread on ='how much air), so waterproofness isn't a massive concer at the moment. All I really want is a decent cold air feed...

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Not the cheapest option but you could ditch the EDC and stick a mechanical pump on. It's relatively straight forward to do and I have to say doesn't seem to effect the 'performance' :lol: noticably.

I guess the other thing to try would be to make a plate up to relocate the MAF further over and forward allowing the airbox to be moved.

I did have a look the other day at work and we don't have enough of the material I used to make my airbox to make another one sorry. :( .

Pete.

Pete,

As you say, probably more than I really want to pay, and the EDC works well at the moment (desperately grabbing something wooden...).

Cheers for investigating airbox material. I did wonder whether a new top could be made - or even just moving the outlet on the top over to the middle of the box... Will have to investigate further.

Cheers

Mark