PAS Overhaul Help required!

Hi folks. My pump has developed a habit of marking its territory and so needs replacing. I'm willing to have a crack at it but the haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired...so I thought i'd ask those in the know! :P

I had look at the weekend, (removed the belt and pulley) and despite the lump being a N/A, it would appear I have a 200tdi pump. It certainly looks suspiciously similar to the one in GBMUD's thread...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry109592

It's a great guide and I'm going to follow it as much as I can, but there's a couple things I'd like to ask first.

1. How do you remove the hoses from the pump, specifically the low-pressure side? After loosening the jubilee clip is the pipe just wedged onto the spigot or are there threads involved?

2. This is a newbie question... but which is the bleed screw on the PAS Box? I've got a (4)? Bolt box (The one with the triangular top plate)

3. I've seen re-seal kits advertised for pumps. Can this be done or is it less hassle to simply replace the pump?

Many thanks!

Guppy.

Hi folks. My pump has developed a habit of marking its territory and so needs replacing. I'm willing to have a crack at it but the haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired...so I thought i'd ask those in the know! :P

I had look at the weekend, (removed the belt and pulley) and despite the lump being a N/A, it would appear I have a 200tdi pump. It certainly looks suspiciously similar to the one in GBMUD's thread...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry109592

It's a great guide and I'm going to follow it as much as I can, but there's a couple things I'd like to ask first.

1. How do you remove the hoses from the pump, specifically the low-pressure side? After loosening the jubilee clip is the pipe just wedged onto the spigot or are there threads involved?

2. This is a newbie question... but which is the bleed screw on the PAS Box? I've got a (4)? Bolt box (The one with the triangular top plate)

3. I've seen re-seal kits advertised for pumps. Can this be done or is it less hassle to simply replace the pump?

Many thanks!

Guppy.

Guppy personaly I would re place the pump Paddocks have PAS pumps on offer at the moment have just put a new one on mine after uying two second hand ones which didnt last long decided to go for a new one and WOW WOW WOW just buy a new one what a diffrance. Mines a Defender mines a NTC8287 and think it was £120 which is is great considering the quotes I had went from that up to over £300. Its not a hard job at all (especialy when had to do it several times with second hand pumps) Im not the best at macanics and have limited tools but have had no problem hope that helps

paul

Guppy,

The low pressure pipes are just pushed on, so take off the jubilee clip and remove. Sometimes they can be stuck and the just need a good wiggle to get them off.

The bleed screw should be on the top. It looks like a brake bleeding nipple.

I've never used a reseal kit for box or pump and I've never seen one for a pump but I've not come across anyone who has said they work yet ! If you can get one and you don't mind doing the job twice if it doesn't work, then give it a go :)

HTH

Mo

Thanks for the feedback guys. Am gonna give it a go. Just ordered a new pump from Paddocks.

I have one small worry, my bleed screw seems to be stuck in situ and i'm afraid of stripping it. Any tips? Don't want to have to fork out for a new box too! :ph34r:

Plenty of wd40 over several days and then use a ring spanner to work the the nipple back and forth (in tiny bits) until you feel it start to loosen.

Mo

There are plenty of alternative which actually works better than WD40 for loosening rusty bolts. The best i have tried is a spray compund which consists of penetrating oli combined with a cooling agent, which cools the bolt down to about -40 celcius. Dont know any UK product name, but surely the same kind must be availble there.