Cooling system pressure

V8david

How much pressure should there be in the cooling system at normal operating temperature? (3.5 V8 Efi). I'm not after an accurate measurement with a gadget, just the squeezability of the hoses, like the rad top hose. It gets firmer but not hard, can still be sqeezed pretty easily. I'm assuming and hoping this is ok?

Please excuse my stupid questions but since I put the engine back together I'm REALLY paranoid I've done something wrong! Got a slight leak at the LPG vapouriser thingy and just replaced the rad as that was leaking along the bottom. Got that pink 5 year antifreeze/inhibitor stuff in there now which seems to highlight leaks more as it's such a bright colour. Everything's clean now as well so I can see where things are coming from!

Also along the cooling system route, one of the core plugs in the block is leaking slightly, the one pretty much behind/above the starter motor. Can these be replaced with the engine in the car? I want to have it done rather than do it myself as I quite frankly cannot be arsed. :lol:

The pressure in the system is controlled by the radiator cap.

In the case of the 3.5efi that should be 15lbf/in2.

Other vehicles will run different pressures so it is worth checking your rad cap to see that you have the right one. The pressure will be stamped into the top of the cap.

Steve

Davo, the hoses on the p38 pressurize and go hard. the same on the bowler. Is the thermostat ok as well? the p38 looses a bit of water, which i stil havent found out the cause yet!!

as for the core plug. i have removed one on the bowler before. i think i supported the engine and removed one of the engine brackets to get to it. hammered a screw driver through the middle an managed to lever it out. be careful not to damage the seat of the plug. you can drift the new plug in with block of wood(which u have plenty off!) and a hammer!

Davo, the hoses on the p38 pressurize and go hard. the same on the bowler. Is the thermostat ok as well? the p38 looses a bit of water, which i stil havent found out the cause yet!!

as for the core plug. i have removed one on the bowler before. i think i supported the engine and removed one of the engine brackets to get to it. hammered a screw driver through the middle an managed to lever it out. be careful not to damage the seat of the plug. you can drift the new plug in with block of wood(which u have plenty off!) and a hammer!

Cheers Gavo, that's good to know mate. My next question was going to be 'how would I remove the core plug?'! Am I likely to loose lots of coolant in the process? It's just behind the starter so I'll be able to get by just popping that off.

Yes mate, I do have plenty of bits of wood! And plenty of hammers to! :lol:

Speak to you soon mate, take care.