Grange over-sands, Lake District

Just out of interest really.

I was looking at a map (OL7 South Eastern Area) to find some walks for our holiday, when i noticed a BOAT which comes onto the map at 457700, heads off on a N/W direction across the sand to Kents bank. Then there's another going across the other side of the bay from 357765 to 313776. Are these driveable, has anyone got any photos?

If you're talking about the Byway that goes across Morecambe Bay I think you can only drive it with the officially appointed guide. There was an article about it in last month's LRM

If you are going up to the lakes then look up the weynose/hardknot pass,coniston end of windermere,its a tarmac road but can be interesting,lots of good vews,

Carl.

Seconded,,

Pic from last November's little jaunt,,

100_3052.jpg

Also did it last week in the SL, so worth the detour if in the area !!

Yes, it is the one across the bay I'm talking about. I'll have a look in the tourist information when I get there.

I wasn't going to take the LR on this trip anyaway. I have two cars, a 110 that does twenty to the gallon at my expense, and one that has company paid fuel! I live in Dorset so its a round trip of 700 plus miles, so its no contest really.

I was thinking of maybe hiring a 4x4 for a day

I'll also check out hardknott pass as I'm probably only 10 minutes drive away in the Langdales.

The feature was in LRW last month. To drive that route you'll need to book the services of the 'Queens Guide' to act as your guide. Don't underestimate the risk involved in driving across Morecambe Bay. Tackling it on your own is asking for trouble!