Over Pressurised Cooling System

Hello there,

First time posting on the forum, been very impressed with the information i've found on here.

Anyway the story is a mate has given me his 110 CSW to repair as it failed its M.O.T. Another problem I've found with the vehicle is that its cooling system always seems over pressurised even when the engine has cooled overnight there seems to be a massive amount of pressure when removing the cap on the expansion tank. Most of the hoses seem to have evidence of small leaks which i've seen as another sign of excesive pressure. Only modification that may affect things is a Kenlowe Hotstart system which has been fitted for years but never used.

I thinking it may be the head gasket but if anyone has any other ideas i'd been keen to know. Also if it is the head gasket how could i confirm this?

Guest WALFY

Open the expansion bottle and remove the lid completely. Run the engine and see if you get any bubbles in the bottle. Or even have a quick sniff off the air that escapes when you open the lid after it's run and release the pressure. If it smells of exhaust then you have the correct diagnosis :( .

My head gasket went about 14 months ago due to a dodgy radiator hose sold to me by Kotara All 4x4, :angry: it was pressurizing the system but also over-heating badly. If there's still pressure the next day be thankfull that vou have a strong cooling system but that pressure can cause problems. If you have those black plastic plugs on the thermerstat housing and radiator, swap them for brass ones because that pressure will kill em.

While your'e changing the head gasket (cos that's what it sounds like) change your water hoses as well because you don't want a weakened hose to let go and blow another gasket.

Head gasket is the most likely cause, mine went between 3&4, had the head checked it was found to be fine...put it all back together.....

same syptoms :o ...

stripped it down again..... :blink:

different place checked the head and it was like a banana :angry:

Had it skimmed put it all back again and all was well :rolleyes:

Head gasket is the most likely cause, mine went between 3&4, had the head checked it was found to be fine...put it all back together.....

same syptoms :o ...

stripped it down again..... :blink:

different place checked the head and it was like a banana :angry:

Had it skimmed put it all back again and all was well :rolleyes:

Cheers for the the reply

Was fearing the head gasket but just wondered if anybody knew any other likely causes. As head gaskets go would people recommend genuine or a cheaper one from the likes of Paddocks, also any other tips on changing gaskets would be appreciated, i've done one on the 200tdi but any advice would be appreciated

mark

payen are good, try AE cookes in Scunny, they should be able to get you either the full head set or just the head gasket... the re-torque procedure is slightly different from the 200tdi... do you have the manual or shall i dig mine out??? ;)

Cheers,

I never though of trying Cookes I normally just use Paddocks mail order. Sorry I seemed to have caused some confusion, this is a 200tdi which I have done before so I suppose I should be OK, was just looking for any words of wisdom. I have the manuals thanks. If the head needs skimming you don't happen to know anywhere in the Scunny area that does them and a rough idea of how much I should be looking to pay?