O/T Satnavs

I'd go for a PDA/phone with a 2.8" screen and TomTom... used this setup for years and years now, very flexible, I also have Memory Map (Pocket Nav OS 5) on it which is great for greenlaning.... and as said above.... fits in your pocket when you leave the vehicle.... plus works as a phone.

Even better I can charge it to my business as an expense ;)

I have done:

First, Tomtom integrated box 700, 910 etc - great for wife's car, very easy to use map ugrades can be dear expensive, no good for greenlaning

Next, iPAQ PDA with Tomtom and Memory Map + Mouse GPS. Tomtom are no longer doing upgrades for PDA so you cannot get latest stuff like map sharing. Memory map gives all of UK at 1:50,000 on a 4GB SD card, but expensive and their map update policy is lamentable. I found it very difficult to use memory map on the PDA for laning as the screen is so small. Mouse GPS not so goo on Defender windscreen or dash, but works brilliantly velcro'd to sunroof. I still have this as a backup

After seeing stuff on here I now have a TC1100 tablet 10" screen with mouse GPS. This runs Memory map at 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 (23GBytes !). This is the absolutes canines for laning, with plenty of detail easy to see. I also have a Tomtom like application called PC Navigator. It is excellent. It is very similar to TomTom with one or two differences. Much better on motorway exit instructions, a bit worse on inuitive operaion. The TC1100 is the only popular tablet I could find with a 10" screen. I found bigger screens too large to fit on the dash. They are now discontinued, but loads on eBay (get a credit card,Paypal account and be a little more wary than usual). Mine was about £200. Astonishing bit of kit.

I am pretty happy with this setup, though not yet clear how reliable a TC1100 is.

I am a computer nerd by trade and have been a professional navigator.

In summary, simple get you from A to B - Tomtom integrated box

Get you there + decent maps for laning - try the TC1100 route (it also has allLand Rover manuals and parts catalogue on it, as part of expedition preparation).