O/T Satnavs

Hi all,

I appologise if this is very O/T but I am looking for a Satnav as I'm tired of getting lost, and I am asking here because people here do a lot of journeys, will have experience with a varied type and crucially, know if any don't work with a Defender's near vertical screen, if that's an issue. If it is O/T slap my wrist or boot me off the forum, whatever suits.

So Yeah, I'm looking for a Satnav and I want something cheap (as ever :rolleyes: ) but good. I'd like to know who to buy from and what models/makes are good.

I don't like ebay as having my bank account emptied without my knowledge and handling stolen goods aren't really my thing. Likewise with the 'big' stores, PC World, Halfords, Comet, Currys, all aimed at people who are too lazy to see that they can buy the same thing for a lot cheaper from the internet - but where?

Cheers

Guest WALFY

I've got a TomTom 910. Suction cup onto the screen and no problems with signal. Used it to get us about in France a few weeks back. Very good for navigating round Paris twice in 1 day :( . For UK it's great. Does postcode or address with turn by turn picture and voice directions as wel. But to be fair I usualy have it turned down quiet as the voices tend to be annoying :( . Nice size screen and doesn't lose definition in the sun. Comes with home charger, PC link lead.

And now it's a lot cheaper than when I got mine a couple of years ago.

TomTom gets my vote.

Great product, but CR@P support, so buy from Amazon (cheap as anywhere when I bought mine) and if it goes wrong - a couple of emails to TT to show willing (they won't be answered if your experience is anything like mine) and then contact Amazon for a replacement. Apparently they will do it without quibble.

Guest WALFY
Sam,, as Ralph has linked, loads in the archives,,

I also run Tom-Tom but on a PDA,, Sorted out Belgium for the Ypres rally a few weeks ago,, as well as the UK

Surely you have a co-driver shouting directions at you Tim. Bit poor you have to rely on TT :P:P:P

I'm after a Tom Tom as thay get the top review on WHICH report.

Argos have the NEW Tom TOM 530 with the lastes Teq. At the moment for £220 with traffic for £250 best price Ive found for it by far.

The 530 is UK & Ireland

The 730 europe

The 930 Europe, USA and canada

The Tom Tom 520 which was the top for the UK untill recent launch of the 530 has dropped loads recent ly from around £200 down to £130 ish dosnt have the latest lane teqnology all depends on what you want out of it. I all ways do a fair bit of rechearch before investing in any thing new for my landy or indeed tool kit or house as I'm a gadget man I allways want the top of the range ( if it turns out to be the Best) regardless of wheather I need it or not LOL.

I've got a Road Angel Adventurer.

Waterproff :)

Memory Mapping :)

Bloody expensive compared to the rest :o

carp Sat Nav :(

Absolutely no Map updates so out of date before you even buy it! :angry:

But then I bought it for the good bits.

Marc.

I have an older TT700 but have done several free software upgrades direct from the TT website which has improved the functionality quite a lot. You don't come across many bits of kit that can be upgraded in this way.

Map upgrades can also be done but you have to pay unless you can find someone to crib them off.

Happy with mine.

John Cleese gives me my navigation instructions and completes a journey with...

'You have reached your destination, you can get out now but I'm not going to carry your bags'.

Steve

another vote for an Ipaq with tomtom and memory map from me.

bloomin marvellous system - but not water proof / drop-tastic, so beware of throwing it about. Especially if the Ipaq doesnt have a built in gps receiver and uses a compacflash gps plug in.

Easier and better to use than my garmin 60cs - but at least that is totally waterproof and handheld. So i use the ipaq for on road stuff and gentle laning, and the garmin for walking and stupid / harder offroading.

you can pick an Ipaq up quite cheaply on ebay, and the software can be had for nowt if you know how to use torrent sites. CF gps card - again from ebay for about £20.

nothing to do with me, but heres a link to a nice one with gps, car kit, all software etc on fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPER-SPEC-HP-HX2750...p3286.m14.l1318

£120

I have an RAC SatNav210 - It works fine but connectivity to the PC is useless and when the time comes to upgrade the maps I'll be going for a TomTom.

You need to put the memory card in card reader to access it, and when installing the software on the PC the message "Your memory card will be erased" comes up!

If you use ebay carefully then you are opening up a much better chance of getting best bang for the buck

I currently use a Garmin 2620, and have had other sat navs in past

I use them almost daily, and the Garmin product get my vote, you can get a street pilot 111 quite cheaply on ebay, (used) and can update the maps at quite a reasonable price, and they have a lot of customisable features.

With sat navs its very much of you get what you pay for (e.g stories of vehicles being guided up farm tracks etc) as its all down to the software , how well and how quickly they can guide you, also the ease of operating. Although some of the so called topline oe car fitemts are a real pita to use . HTSH

Can't fault the Garmin Nuvi 250, had one for six months now and rate it highly.

I believe the battery life is much better than the equivalent Tom Tom which was one of the main reasons I went Garmin.

As above, i've got a Garmin 250W, its superb.

Only fault i've found is that it can't give you an OS grid ref... but my old Garmin GPSV does OK in that department. ;)

I'm not a fan of Tom-Toms... just seem a bit 'Halfords' for my liking.... :rolleyes:

planes and ships use Garmin navigation... Scallys in Corsa's have tom-Toms. :ph34r:

They might not have them anymore but Halfords were selling off stock of the Garmin Nuvi 310 cheap recently -

I got one for the missus, mainly as it has the speed camera warnings and its a very good unit - think we paid £99 or maybe less. Only difference between that and my more expensive 250 appears to be the 310 has a flip up ariel and a slight difference in the menu options.

I've got an MDA Vario Mobile Phone/PDA running Tomtom, it's fantastic, easy to update, does all the Speed Cameras etc, shows all points of interest really easily such as favourite shops or mcdonalds etc.

Best thing with it is it just goes in your pocket when you leave the car, it also has a full keyboard for emailing/txting and 2mb internet access.