Fuel Tank for EFI engine

I'm considering installing a V8 during the rebuild of my 90, and i'm looking for some info on the fuel tank

Its currently fitted with a 300TDi and the normal side mounted fuel tank.

I've been looking around and it seem the proper EFI 90's (50th anniversary?) used a TD5 chassis with the rear mounted fuel tank and had an in tank fuel pump.

The chassis i'm rebuilding the 90 onto is a TD5 item so clearly i could use one of these tanks but it would mean changing the rear tub for a TD5 one.

What i'd like to know is what most people do when converting earlier 90's to EFI v8 power. I could stick a pump inline external to the tank, however i suspect this would prove problematic as i presume the tdi tank doesnt have a swirl pot inside?

The other option would be to install the rear mounted TD5-style tank and change the tub to TD5 style, is there any disadvantages of mounting the fuel tank in this rearwards position however (ie clearance when offroading)?

cheers

Kevin

Well that would mean its taking up load space and i dont want that.

I think i'll keep the standard tank for now, and fit some form of pump to it, hell i might even keep the TDi, i'm going to have to sit and work out the costs of buying and installing the V8 but i suspect it'll be a good 2-3k by the time i've got everything i need to convert it and got it installed.

Well some background would help. I dont want to use a rover V8, they are horrible engines imo and simply not worth the money. I have been looking at using an Audi 4.2 32v unit from the A8 as its a good bit shorter, lower and about the same width as the rover, weighs less, and produces 300hp out the box and makes 200lbft of torque from 1000rpm peaking at 295lbft at 4kish

as a quick run down:

Engine (Audi ABZ) £400

Gearbox adaptor plate say £200

Custom clutch and flywheel £200

Emerald management system and mapping £1000

LPG installation £...

Theres probably more things that will be involved but thats already a lot of cash. The biggest issue being the management. If i can make it run on the original Audi ecu then its probably doable without breaking the bank, although it still requires a LPG conversion to make it anywhere near affordable to run and thats another 800-1000 at least.

I'll have to look into using the audi ECU and loom a bit more before i go any further!

Yer ive thaught about it, but the problem is you really need someone with the right equipment to map it if you want the best from the engine in terms of drivbility, fuel economy and performance.

For example, if your trying to map out a flat spot at 80 or 90% throttle on the road it gets rather dangerous as your rocketing up the road putting down 300hp, on a dyno you tell the rollers to hold the road speed and map away, and trying to find a rolling road who will map megasquirt is needle in haystack territory,,,

I'm going to do some research into running the stock ecu, as to be honest there isnt going to be any map better than the one audi spent millions developing! If its not possible then i may look into megasquirt a bit more, but it seems to me to be a bit pikey

The whole point of EFI is that you've got exactly the fuel and ignition you need, where you need it. Whereas with home mapped 'squirt it seems a bit like tuning a set of sidedraft webers by ear

Guest diesel_jim
i could use one of these tanks but it would mean changing the rear tub for a TD5 one.

Why? use an auxilary (or series 3) type filler, which fits on the "curved" piece of the side of the body. no tub changing needed.

then get a piece of plate cut to fill the void where the original filler was.

Or just have 2 tanks.... with an audi 4.2 V8 i think you'll need all the reservoirs you can lay your hands on.

i'd probably use the other tank point for the LPG tank tbh, so if i went for a rear mounted tank, i'd fit the LPG tank where the side mounted tank usually sits. I could use the original filler point to house the LPG filler...

Any links to where i can get this series filler neck?

Well some background would help. I dont want to use a rover V8, they are horrible engines imo and simply not worth the money. I have been looking at using an Audi 4.2 32v unit from the A8 as its a good bit shorter, lower and about the same width as the rover, weighs less, and produces 300hp out the box and makes 200lbft of torque from 1000rpm peaking at 295lbft at 4kish

as a quick run down:

Engine (Audi ABZ) £400

Gearbox adaptor plate say £200

Custom clutch and flywheel £200

Emerald management system and mapping £1000

LPG installation £...

Theres probably more things that will be involved but thats already a lot of cash. The biggest issue being the management. If i can make it run on the original Audi ecu then its probably doable without breaking the bank, although it still requires a LPG conversion to make it anywhere near affordable to run and thats another 800-1000 at least.

I'll have to look into using the audi ECU and loom a bit more before i go any further!

I'd get an engine and gearbox/autobox complete and get a custom gbox to transfer box converter made up. Much simpler. Are the engines readily available?

Megasquirt/emerald is your choice - megasquirt datalogging means you don't have to fiddle with settings as you drive.

The audi ecu will be linked to various other items such as the rf tag in the ignition key - tricky to fit!

rf tag isnt an issue as long as the pickup is wired directly to the ecu, if it goes via a BCM then it gets tricky! These are the things i need to look into!

The audi boxes are all transaxles so its much easier to make a conversion plate to sit between the landy box and the engine as theres no offthe shelf box that will do the job!

• 4 weeks later...

well things have moved along a little with this!

The immobiliser on the earlier A8's uses a seperate control box which is tied into the engines ECU

You therefore need the ECU with the matching immo box, pickup and key. I have just purchased an ABZ V8 from an ebay seller along with the ECU, and the other required parts, The engine also has the PAS pump, alternator and AC pump fitted. So i'm hoping i have everything required for the conversion to get the engine running.

I've also managed to get my hands on a CAD drawing of the bellhousing pattern on the Block, so this coupled with a TDi R380 bellhousing i think it should be reasonably simple to fabricate an adaptor plate to sit between the engine and box!

The engine ive purchased comes with a flexplate, so i'll need to find a flywheel for it (looks like they can be baught new for around £250) then my plan is to get this flywheel machined to take the landrover TDi clutch and friction plate.

I'll get some photos up once the parts arrive :)

Guest diesel_jim
The engine ive purchased comes with a flexplate, so i'll need to find a flywheel for it (looks like they can be baught new for around £250) then my plan is to get this flywheel machined to take the landrover TDi clutch and friction plate.

I'd have thought it would be better to try and make a V8 clutch fit... that way there's much more chance of you picking up a HD or HHHD version (just because lots more V8's get tuned than Tdi's, and produce much more power too)

the ABZ (4.2 32v) roughly the same width and height as rover v8 (if anything a little smaller), but a LOT shorter which is what makes it looks so wide

rover v8 is something like 750mm long, the audi motor is 500mm!

I paid £500 for mine, including the ECU's, loom, immobiliser control, pickup and key and the engine, pas pump, alternator and AC pump.

1k seems a lot for a 32v, however if its a later 40v then it IS very wide but that price is probably about right, and i think looking at that pic it is a 40v, Immobiliser is a LOT more complicated on the later engines though, its all tied into the instrument cluster and the engine basically wont run without the instrument cluster wired in!

dieseljim: the Audi S8 has a 340hp version of the same engine and is fitted with a 240mm clutch (which is the only manual version). The TDi clutch is also 240mm so i recon it'll be fine?