Double cardon prop length

streaky

In an effort to cure the over-run vibrations on my series 1 Disco V8 ...I decided to buy a double cardon front prop at Billing.

A new one was sourced from one of the most reputable suppliers in the industry...all the right questions were asked etc....money changed hands.

Because of the weight and nature of this part I decided to send it back to Dubai with Fed-Ex....which cost nearly as much as the prop-shaft its-self!

Yesterday I put the car up on the ramp and removed the old standard front prop....compared it to the new Double Cardon one and noticed it was one and half inches longer!

Have I been given the wrong one or are all D/C front props longer by design?

I drove down to the local workshop and compared the new one with a Discovery II D/C front prop....it was even longer than that!

In an effort to justify fitting a D/C front prop I fitted a new tranfer box flange and D/C prop from a Disco II. This has cured the vibrations 90%. I wonder what would have been the result if I'd fitted the new Wide angle D/C one?

I called the UK supplier yesterday and they called me back within 10 minutes to say they would investigate the issue. But what concerns me is the costs of returning the old one and the cost of freighting a replacement.

Simpler to chop it down to the length you require?

Agree Tony, but re-welding the two halves back together strongly enough and then getting the thing balanced correctly would be a problem here.

I had one done for my Hybrid Lightweight a few years back and had all sorts of problems afterwards...mainly with incorrect balance.

Has anyone fitted a double cardon joint prop to a Series I V8 and made note of the differences in prop lengths compared to the original one?

Thx.

I decided to send it back to Dubai with Fed-Ex....which cost nearly as much as the prop-shaft its-self!

Ouch. :o

Have I been given the wrong one or are all D/C front props longer by design?

IIRC, on a standard car, the original and the DC props should be the same.

When I bought mine, I had to take lots of measurements so the correct length could be worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to say that I received a Phone call from Simon Buck @ Devon4x4 to say that they would send me a replacement D/C shaft out immediatly. He asked me a few questions about the length of my old shaft etc and appologised in depth for the inconvieniance caused.

It would appear that the one I purchased at Billing was labelled incorrectly.

The previously purchased shaft is still here with me in Dubai & I'll try to find a cost effective way of returning it or if I can find out what it's originally intended for then I might be able to sell it on their behalf to someone in Dubai.

In any case...it's nice to know that there are still some companies out there who will admit to an expensive mistake and not make any attempt to wriggle of out rectifying it.

Hats off to D44.