Timing belt or chain

Hi guys;

as my footer says ihave a 2001 td5 truck cab. now i have always been under the impression the TD5 engine has a timing chain and not a belt. i crawling about under the engine a when looking up between the radiator and engine i am sure i could see a belt snake its way through all the timing wheels. would this be the case. either way if belt or chain what mileage should i changing it. i dont off road my big boy he is just used for commuting

The serpent belt you have just seen drives the alternator, starter, air con, power steering pump. Of cos there's a belt tensioner there too. The timing chain you can't see, until you remove the engine head is just at the front of the Td5 block. There are 2 chains on this block. If you ever need to change this chain, something bad must have happened to your engine block and it's going to cost you a lot of money.

The other reason you will ever see these chains are when you need to re-seal your injector seals, when you have engine oil on the red connector in the ECU. you will have to open up the block.