200tdi Engine Problems

So the engine's in but there are two problems:

1) Even though we replaced the oil seals on both the crankshaft and camshaft, once warm, oil drips out of our hole in the bottom of the timing chest. What do you think is the most likely cause? I haven't opened up the chest yet but no doubt oil will be everywhere!!

2) Oil from the turbo seems to be dripping into the exhaust and air inlet, can this be rectified or does it need an overhaul? If the latter, could you recommend anywhere to get it done?

Thanks

Pete

On your first point.....

Did you completely remove the timing chest from the block? If you did, there is another seal on the end of the cam shaft that will need looking at. I've just had to take mine all apart again after having exactly the same problem!! Mine lost about a litre of oil through the cam and crank seals!!

On the second point....

I've never seen a 200TDi that doesn't have oil in the inlet manifold, but I've only looked inside 4 of them...

I've never seen a 200TDi that doesn't have oil in the inlet manifold, but I've only looked inside 4 of them...

Doesn't mean it's right, but to add weight to the above, make that 5, mine has oil in the inlet too, clearly coming from the pipe out of the breather into the turbo inlet tract.

oil will seep past the turbo seals if the turbo is anything but perfect on any engine, so its not surprising to find oil in the intercooler and inlet manifold, landrover service guide even has flushing the intercooler out as a item on it, so its generally accepted as normal.

A recon turbo might stop it for a few thousand miles, but it'll soon return. Unless its very bad (blue smoke out the exhaust or rattling like hell) then i'd leave it alone.

Aragron,

There is blue smoke and the turbo seems to be underperforming and so I will have a look at getting it recondition.

Orange,

Yes, it was completely away from the block as it was a disco and I was fitting a defender front case. Where is this other seal exactly?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

When you look at the front of the engine, the crank shaft is at the bottom and the cam shaft is above and left - right of the fuel pump sprocket. There is a seal behind the sprocket (same arrangement as the crank seal) which is located in the timing chest. Might be a bit of a b#gger to get out with the timing chest attached to the block.

ETC5064 is the LR part number.... Item number 4 on page 25 of the Bearmach Parts Catalogue Download

HTH

Adrian

Rather than start a new thread I have a similar problem.

Replaced the front timing chest on my Disco engine for a Defender item in order to fit a new shiny turbo. Only problem now is I have an oil leak. Pulled the front cover off to reveal an oil drip from the tensioner bolt. It seems as though the oil is coming from the block and coming along the thread of the bolt. I removed it and threw a blob of mastic in the hole and buttoned it all up. Started the engine and while I bled the coolingsystem all seemed fine. Drove home, about 1 1/2 hrs and I have a small but constant drip again. Any ideas before I try some tiger seal behind the tensioner to stem the oil flow.