Discovery 1 - rear shocks replacement

john01473

can anyone advise me how hard a job replacing rear shocks on a Dicovery 1. tools etc needed - pitfalls.

Hi,

Replacing the shocks on the back end of a Disco is an easy enough job. It's not located inside the spring so easy to get at. A socket set and spanner should be all you need. The top nut is plain sailing but the bottom is a little more difficult to undo. Jack car up and remove wheel. (put axle stand in if you have one!) You should easily see both ends now and figure out where to undo it. I tend to have a pair of grips to hold the shocker still whilst undoing the lower nut. Just make a note of which way round the washers and rubbers all go as you take them off. I'm not sure of the settings for doing them back up again but do not over tighten them or leave them too loose!

Regards

Dave

I'm not sure of the settings for doing them back up again but do not over tighten them or leave them too loose!

Regards

Dave

Depends on the dampers in question, Procomps are just a plain thread, wherte as pretty much all other dampers for LR have a step on the pin which the last washer clamps up tight against giving the correct clamping on the bushes.

Some dampers have flats on the end of the thread thread which you can get a small spanner on to stop it rotating, but if the nuts is corroded on then this is nothing like strong enough. Another damper I've seen had a flats on body of the damper next to the pin which takes a large open ended spanner which is better. If the bottom nut is very corroded on and the damper is scrap then I would just cut the nut off with a grinder.