range rover classic v series 111

SIMON64

rangerover v series 3  

55 members have voted

1. 1. which is better off road

• range rover classic
    • series 3

Freelander Mk1 superb off road and as JU says it certainly surprises people!

RRC Hybrids - was only talking to Nick W about my old hybrid this evening - any of you old off roaders remember Bengy? Awesome truck.

As for cutting teeth - I cut mine on an 80" with a 1600cc side valve, RTV trialling at 14, then moved up to an 86" with a 3ltr Ford V6 in it. I still believe that leaf springs are the way to go if done right but the RRC was the most capable 'out of the box' off roader ever built )not the most reliable and certainly not the best), anyone that has driven one in anger will agree

Head to head, i'd say range rover. It has more power, and the softer suspension floats over undulations that would be shaking you to death in the series. I'v driven sections with ease in my friends range rover, that I backed off on in my 2A because it sounded like it was going to shake its self to bits!

Series wins in some places due to shorter overhangs and shorter wheelbase, so you dont get bellied as much. Although a rangie on 235/85s will cross bumps suprisingly.

It does depend a lot on the situation. I've struggled to get out of a set of ruts in a RRC that a series drove out of without too much fuss, but neither were standard and the prevoius day I seemed to spend most of it recovering said series from a far worse predicament. That was actually quite odd because the old cross ply SATs on mine stuggled more in the slippy mud, but out perfromed the grizzly claws on the series on wet rockier ground.

We once measured the vibrations in the above series during a lecture and came to the conclusion that it was a health risk on longer journies. IIRC we recorded 108 dB during a test run. It still wasn't as bad as the G wagon at home, I dorve it from southampton to worcester once and my guts have never felt so bad. Sleep deprevation, excessive coffee consumption and stress has a similar effect but still not as bad as the G was.

On the farm at home we had series LR for years before my father got a RRC. When it came to getting a stock trailer across muddy fields then the RRC was by far the better choice despite being on smaller, less aggresive tyres.