130 CSW

I too thought it was only the Range Rover that had shocks fitted that way up to 1985,

Why then I wonder does the Defender 110 and I believe the TD5 110 chassis have the shock holes drilled behind the axle on the right hand side ?

None of the later Range Rover or Discovery chassis that I've looked at have ??

mike

no there not, all 90/110 rear upper & lower damper mounts are in front of the axle

Ok. Bearing in mind my 110 is very early (2,1/4 engine number 0000067) the rear shock mounts were definatley the same as the early range rovers with one forward and one behind the axle. (ill try and dig a couple of pics out to prove it.)

To be honest it did confuse me at the time as i hadn't given myself much time to do the axle swap and didn't expect to swap all the shocks around as well.

Ive still got the old axle so if i cant find the pics ill grab a couple of that.

Why is it with land rovers that there is always one thats different..

Edit :- i should add that the extra holes are in the drivers side only. i also believe that the early 110's with the boge strut had shocks in front of the axle

Ok. Beraing in mind my 110 is very early (2,1/4 engine number 0000067) the rear shock mounts were definatley the same as the early range rovers with one forward and one behind the axle. (ill try and dig a couple of pics out to prove it.)

To be honest it did confuse me at the time as i hadn't given myself much time to do the axle swap and didn't expect to swap all the shocks around as well.

Ive still got the old axle so if i cant find the pics ill grab a couple of that.

Why is it with land rovers that there is always one thats different..

just had another look at my 10, it has 3 extra holes similar to the damper upper mount but to the rear of the axle but only on the right hand side, can't find any on the left & it's the original chassis with no repairs in those areas.

Edit :- i should add that the extra holes are in the drivers side only. i also believe that the early 110's with the boge strut had shocks in front of the axle
just had another look at my 10, it has 3 extra holes similar to the damper upper mount but to the rear of the axle but only on the right hand side, can't find any on the left & it's the original chassis with no repairs in those areas.

That sounds correct and is the same as mine. i only have one set on the left and two on the right

you will find that if they are drilled there is also the anti crush boxing welded in as well. (this was also on the left had side as i found it whilst drilling the holes for the other top shock mount)

Defiantly not a left over from export spec as mines was a 2/14 diesel hardtop uk spec.

someone must know why they are only on the right rear.

The damper position is definatly genuine. (the axle case etc has not been modified) and the mounting bolts were original.

they are only on the right as its only the right hand damper which moves position. and they are definatly for the shock mount.

I agree my 110 mountings are unusual but they are original (the 110 is registered may 1983 and was a 2 1/4 diesel)