Overheating or not ?

Peter

Have been having some strange issues with my 300tdi Automatic 1987 90.

The pump was turned up a couple of months ago.

Then started to get the dreaded temp guage rise.

Have changed everything in a bid to cure it.

Thermostat

Fan viscous

Top hose.

Radiator

All seemed well again until going on a 15mile drive,I'd stopped for a couple of hours, but within a mile on the way back, noticed temp needle was edging its way off to the red again, oh heck.

Water pump + P gasket. now changed.

Also timing belt was done, at same time.

All seemed well again, drove 5 miles even up a long slow inclne. Stopped for an hour (pub) then after driving back down the long hill ans through a shallow ford slowly, noticed as soon as got to next hill, the needle had moved off to the red yet again. Stopped a minute or two waited for needle to move back to just over half way point on dial (its usually or a least past 8 years been just under half way)

Drove another few miles without gauge moving.

Apart from the head gasket having not been changed (hope its not going to be this) or the top up rad cap (old 2.5N/A one).

The only other problem the vehicle has had recently is I've noticed the alternator light has the faintest of glows sometimes.

I'm beginning to wonder if the alternator is the fault causing the fuel gauge to read faulty ?

Failing that then it must be the head gasket.

Anyone experienced these symptoms at all - and been round the houses only to find a different answer - supposed to be leading a large group up to LRO show this weekend, and am getting a tad stressed about this damn problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if the alternator is the fault causing the fuel gauge to read faulty ?- supposed to be leading a large group up to LRO show this

Is it the fuel gauge or the temperature gauge?

supposed to be leading a large group up to LRO show this weekend

Don't worry, it is easy to find. :)

When I bought my 1991 original 200Tdi it came with a bill for remedying a fault with the gauges. This caused them to read high and was traced to a poor earth in the back of the dash. Another option is, are you still using the original temperature gauge with the 300Tdi sender? This has been known to give false readings in the past. You might try a more reliable method of establishing actual engine temperature rather than a guess made by unmatched instruments which are only a guide when properly matched to their correct sender.

Chris

Is it the fuel gauge or the temperature gauge?

Don't worry, it is easy to find. :)

When I bought my 1991 original 200Tdi it came with a bill for remedying a fault with the gauges. This caused them to read high and was traced to a poor earth in the back of the dash. Another option is, are you still using the original temperature gauge with the 300Tdi sender? This has been known to give false readings in the past. You might try a more reliable method of establishing actual engine temperature rather than a guess made by unmatched instruments which are only a guide when properly matched to their correct sender.

Chris

Sorry wrote that quite late last night, or very early this morning. Its the temp guage. Engine has been in vehicle for over 3 years now without a problem - except having Turbo replced before trip round alps last year.

Think X-eng do a temp sender that is plumbed in line with the pipe that is below the Rad, might see if can get a digital reader for accurate temp of engine - someone must sell something like that by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very similar problem... I think.

Since I fitted my 300tdi into the truck which was once a 2.5n/a I found the old gauge showed it as running just shy of "too hot" but the reading seemed to gradually creep up then stop, and it stopped on the same point each journey.

At this time I had a 2.5n/a temp gauge fitted so I got hold of a TDI gauge and thought all would be well. But when I fitted the gauge the truck had been sat overnight, as soon as I turned on the ign. the temp gauge shot up to about 1/3.

Could this be a faulty sender? Or is it going to be the ever typical grounding problem?

Cheers

Matt

Hello Peter!!!!!!! Howz it down at KLRC these days, keep meaning to pop out and see you all, Try whipping out the thermostat and running it for a while, coz if the gauge still goes up then its the gauge / sender /earth. (prob). Is it losing any water? are the coolant pipes hard (presurised) ? in the morning when its cold, does the cap go psst when you take it off! ( pressurised). Have they turned up the fuelling too much , too higher EGT. also do the two coincide timewise. Does the heater get hot ( well warm anyway)? see you soon. Stumpy. :ph34r: