fuel supply

guys

I have an intermittent problem with the 110, I would get a throbbing noise in the fuel lines. The general consensus was that it was a poorly lift pump, have changed this, however in bleeding the fuel system I haven't been able to get fuel up from the tank into the pump itself. been pumping the handle for about 5 mins. Just as a note how long of pumping with the lift lever is typically required to bleed the system if we assume the fuel has drained back to the tank?

I ran out of tinkering time, but fairly confident the pump is sucking. shall check gain tonight

Also have changed the fuel filter in case of blockage and added half a tank of diesel to make sure.

If the lift pump is ok, what would your bets be on?

block in fuel line itself ( has been left standing for 3 months)

I usually just crack open the fuel filter bleed screw 1-2 turns and turn the engine over on the starter until diesel emerges from the filter. :blink:

Never really got on with the lift pump handle thingy. The book was far too complicated on which crank angle it had to be at before it would work properly.

End result engine and battery can do the work. ;)

Pete

been pumping the handle for about 5 mins.

what engine are we talking about?

if the lever is on the wrong point on the cam you can pump all day

if you pull the lead off the stop solenoid I don't think you can do any harm by turning it over on the starter as Pete says

With half a tank of fuel you should see fuel within a few pumps as the fuel level is near the level of the pump anyway - you are not having to pump it all along from the tank, gravity is already doing the work for you.

If the eccentric on the cam that drives the fuel pump is in the wrong position then the lever does very little. Try turning the engine over by 90 degrees and try again. Repeat 4-6 times and see if that helps. Otherwise, turn the engine over on the motor for a few seconds, that should get the pump pumping and raise fuel. If not then there is a problem!

Chris