gkn and rocky mountain overdrive

crazyfarmerboy

hello i have been offered a rocky mountain overdrive for £420. this works the same way as a fairey as it is operated by a lever. my td5 is used fir towing and has a low ratio but when not towing i want some speed is this a good deal or is it better to pay more for a gkn. the rocky has done 14,000 miles from new and it has been on a TD5. cheers hope to hear soon.

you won't find a new from GKN od now they ceased production recently due to far to many warranty claims, mines been fine bought 2nd hand from a fellow LR owner, But Devon4x4 may have a few left in stock, worth a e.mail/phone call.as the RM unit has been fitted & had use I'd say you have 2 choices

buy the RM overdrive or fit the 1.22:1 high range transfer gear instead.

• 7 months later...
The RM overdrive gives a 27% increase in gearing, which you may find too much.

The 1.22 gears give a 15% increase which, in my experience, is sufficient unless you want to run at 90mph all day.

Does the RM Overdrive fit a LT77 with a 200TDI?

sounds a good price i would go for it.

if you do alot of heavy towing then dont change to 1.22 ratio T box.

my td5 pulled 3T with OD engaged quite happily many a time but i liked the 1.4box for pulling away and up through the gears over a 1.2 when towing