2.5 n/a to 200tdi

can you please post up some details of parts/part numbers etc as well...i'm getting very close to making the decision to swap out the 2.5TD in place of a 200tdi....and the more help that I can get the better...particularly in terms of getting all the parts together so i can bring it to someone who knows what to do with them all. :)

the tech archive is a good place to start, read and print Les's excellent guide

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

next step is to try and source a complete discovery, as thiw makes the job a lot easier. we are using a conversion kit from ebay for the exhaust and intercooler pipes, saves a lot of time and makes everything easier. other than that you will need a new clutch kit, timing belt kit (good idea to do whilst it's out), a good engine crane/tractor/telehandler, good set of sockets, spanners, varying sizes of hammer etc

only "special" tools you may need would be a quite large 3 leg puller, large socket set (we used a 3/4" drive set for the crank pulley bolt) and possibly a welder

quite an easy job to do really, but it's best if you can talk nicely to someone with a barn or large garage with power and lights

It's done!!! Fired up first (ish) turn of the key, after the fuel had primed. Purrs like a kitten, no knocks, rattles or squeeks. No funny coloured smoke out the bak either - result.

He is well impressed with the difference, hills that were once 2nd gear it will now cruise up in 4th and still pull.

This is a well recommended conversion for the defender, Mr.Henson, hats off to you for an excellent tech archive thread, helped us out many times.

Ok, getting gathering prices...for the conversion i will need

Conversion Kit (intercooler + exhaust) approx £170 off ebay

Clutch Kit approx £60 off web

Timing Belt Kit approx £39.85

All filters approx £11

So this is working out about £290....is there anything else, no matter how small e.g. rubber seals etc that might be needed other than the engine? Also, what engine ancillaries might I need? Or what must I specify? thanks

You need as much as possible really - alternator, PAS pump and pipes (Disco hi pressure pipe will reach, but doesn't sit flush to the cross member. TD oil cooler pipes and adaptors (long enough to reach the rad)

Service kit (oil/oil filter/fuel filter), some 8mm fuel hose and jubilee clips, assorted bolts, washers and nuts. New front and rear crank seals (adaptor plate on block needs to come off, along with the flywheel (which are the same 200tdi & n/a) and the front timing cover seal. Defender temp sender, oil pressure switch, (may as well put a new one on). Other than that, just usual consumables, WD40, gaffa tape, selection of hammers, electrical terminals etc...

Talking about rads.

On my hybrid, i think the bodywork is too far back! (rangie chassis, series bodywork, 200tdi & R380)

My bottom hose outlet on the 200tdi disco rad iv got exits straight into the PAS box. bummer.

What rads have both top and bottom hoses on the intercooler side?

Cheers