200tdi Auto

tango90

How big a job would it be to convert a 200tdi 90 to auto?

I think I have most of the parts, some of them will probably need adapting if so what?

has anybody done this already and was the end result worth the work involved?

If you have the 200tdi auto box and adaptor plate from a RR or Disco, it should be relatively straightforward, albeit time consuming.

If like the V8, you will need the gearbox mounts from the donor vehicle as well. Kickdown brackets and connectors are useful to get (don't know what these hook up to on an oil burner).

Swap boxes and then connect kickdown, inhibit switch, oil cooler and of course the change lever.

To be more specific on what adaptations you need to make, we need to know what parts you have ;)

hi

you will probably need an autobox from a diesel otherwise the shift points will be at the wrong revs, though you might be able to mod a V8 control valve to suit. I think it should be worth the effort a lot easier to drive, ashcroft transmissions do conversions for all defenders so they could advise you on whats required

matt

I have 99% completed this converison as we speak.

Well, was 2.5TD & LT 77, now 200TDi auto.

It is not a simple swap. You also need an autobox for a 200TDi. Others, eg v8, 300TDi boxes are no good.

First decide if you want to move the engine forwards to accommodate the longer autobox, or have custom props made. There is 6 1/2 " difference so if you leave the engine where it is all your gear box and transfer box mounts will need re drilling and the chassis tubed. You will also end up with a very short rear prop.

I moved the engine forwards to avoid the expense of the custom props and hassle of tubing the chassis for the transmision mounts.

However, this introduces some new problems, well it did for me as my engine is from a disco. Moving the engine forwards puts the turbo outlet hard up against the inner wing. I expect the defender turbo position may avoid this, but it is worth checking.

You will ned to work out where your air filter is going to go as there is no room at the front with the enigne forwards. Mine is mounted to the back of the cylinder head next to the bulkhead. Routing the pipework is interesting....

Auto box cooler hoses will need to be made up, but this is not difficult just make sure you measure 10 times and cut once!! I used a RR bog brush cooler across the front of the rad as it is high flow unlike some ebay specials so I am told. It fits nicely with a couple of spacers off the wings. If you put it here you may loose the bonnet slam panel struts so bonnet pins are advisable.

You will need to design and fabricate a centre console and shifter mount. There is a thread on here about it somewhere...

You will need to make up a bracket for the shifter cable to attach to the gearbox mount.

You will need to sort out the wiring so it only starts in park or neutral.

With the engine forwards you can use standard Disco top hoses and radiator shroud.

Thats about all I can think of for now.