Discovery 300 ABS problem

yellowmitch

I had that, among other faults, on my old one. I took the bulb out in the end 'cause I was p***ed off with it and the ABS worked fine...

Not sure you will get away with that wherever you are (hint: fill in your profile ;) )

But yes I think the correct fix probably involves half the price of the car for a new pump :(

Hi there.

My Disco is a December 1995 (96 model year) 300 series ES V8i which I have since retrofitted (NO WIRES CUT!!!) with a 300Tdi from a 1995 GS vehicle.

So now it's a 1996 ES Tdi :)

The error on the diagnostic machine says "pump running when not switched on"

I have tried swopping some of the under dash relays and the wabco ecu with ones from another scrapper disco but it has made no difference.

I have also tried putting power to the pump out under the bonnet and it kicks into life so I presume it works ok.

If I disconnect things, like the pump or ecu, leave it a while and then plug them back in, the fault clears and the vehicle drives correctly.

The instant that I stop and restart the engine though the light is back on :(

What is wrong?

Please help. Only one week until my MOT and I need the car !!!

When my wife was told by the dealer, it would be just £1000 to fix, her reply was "For a tenth of that I can have a gold plated box with a 555 timer in it which will make the lamp look just like its working"

Our real fault was an intermittent wheel sensor. I plugged out the control unit and metered the 4 sensor leads 3 were 1300 ohms about and the fourth was 5k plus. The sensor was touching the notched ring on the wheel, if I had spotted it sooner I could have adjusted it before the sensor was bashed so badly it was going open circuit.

Good luck with it.