Light Off-road in Derbyshire?

sparg

Just exploring off-road a llittle, and letting my 14-year old learn to drive at the same time (if you learn on a landrover, other cars will seem a bit easy). I'm looking for gentle play spaces to the west of Sheffield, Uk. Done the old roman road (though i don't know how old romans would have managed on it) near Foxhouse - very accessible, but very rocky; likewise, Stanedge (and think we're not supposed to be along there now, anyway).

Anyone know of any other places - old quarries, tracks, that sort of thing?

regards

sparg

Sorry, but what's this "letting my 14-year old learn to drive at the same time"?

It almost reads as though you intend to let them drive on the Public Highway (as all Green Lanes are, by definition, Public Highways). That can't be encouraged or condoned.

Or are you looking for Pay and Play sites that both include gentle terrain, and allow unlicensed drivers?

I don't know any of those.

Perhaps I've just picked up a confused message, with mention of both the Roman Road, Stanage Edge, and "gentle play spaces".

Regards.

Sorry, but what's this "letting my 14-year old learn to drive at the same time"?

It almost reads as though you intend to let them drive on the Public Highway (as all Green Lanes are, by definition, Public Highways). That can't be encouraged or condoned.

Or are you looking for Pay and Play sites that both include gentle terrain, and allow unlicensed drivers?

I don't know any of those.

Perhaps I've just picked up a confused message, with mention of both the Roman Road, Stanage Edge, and "gentle play spaces".

Regards.

well exactly! = that's what I was asking - obviously, a field (for instance) would be legally fine, as would many other places that are not public highways - for obvious reasons, it would be daft to let a 14-year old drive on those. So, occasionally, I find some land where it is feasible, and I was asking if anyone knew of any other situations where it would be feasible... I can't quite see how that's "confused"

so my question stands, - I suppose it's really a two part question, then. One: green lanes seem thin on the ground in derbyshire, according to the ordnance survey maps - is some green laning done on other than tracks marked as "all traffic"?

Two: offroad but not with dislocation cones, mud-pluggers, long shocks and guards - and where it\s permissible for a fourteen-year old - anywhere? - is it just a case of private land, by permission?

regards

Hello Sparg,

Get yourself over to www.bofa4x4.co.uk and look up either grizzly or doodlebug. They are from around your area and can offer you a fun filled weekend on private land at a reasonable cost where you'll be enjoying good company and lots of fun. Your 14 year old can gather skill and experience at a good age. Better to show them the dangers and learn earlier so by the time they come up for test they will have more experience than most which can only be a good thing.

All the best.

DC

Hello Sparg,

Get yourself over to www.bofa4x4.co.uk and look up either grizzly or doodlebug. They are from around your area and can offer you a fun filled weekend on private land at a reasonable cost where you'll be enjoying good company and lots of fun. Your 14 year old can gather skill and experience at a good age. Better to show them the dangers and learn earlier so by the time they come up for test they will have more experience than most which can only be a good thing.

All the best.

DC

Ah! - thanks for that - BTW - just realised I posted this in the Range Rover Forum - apologies - careless.

yes,have realised that options come down to private land, with permission. And yes, I want the 14 year old to gather skills early enough - and am hoping to deflect him from quads (they turn over on your head with alarming consequences) - in fact, that was part of the rationale for buying a defender; nothing to do with the fun I had as a teenager with my 1956 petrol swb all those years ago...

No probs at all. The bunch are really friendly and will make you feel right at home. If your on the site and it says full, PM either Bill or Col. They run the outings and mention me DC, they will do their upmost to fit you in matey, now go have fun ;)

No probs at all. The bunch are really friendly and will make you feel right at home. If your on the site and it says full, PM either Bill or Col. They run the outings and mention me DC, they will do their upmost to fit you in matey, now go have fun ;)

thanks - will check it out

regards