Engine Misfire

kevinr

When I'm accelerating through 1st and second gear, the car starts to misfire. I've checked all I can on it, but everything seems in check..no vaccum leaks, sparks and HT leads are new, dizzy cap and rotor arm are clean as a whistle..I cant see any oil leaks (well, not of the usual disco variety).

Any ideas what could be the next step?

Is it possible to swap the coil out with a replacement to test it without going through the hassel of completely removing the old one and putting the new one in fully?

You could always try the GM upgrade.

I had a look at that...very intruiging :) but trying to source that replacement amp is proving hard, the motorfactors round here can't seem to cross frerence that part no to anything.

As to the misfire, with the exhaust system popping along merrily to the misfire, I decided to play with the air-flow meter, I removed the cable...accelerated hard..and no jumping :)..so I replaced the cable...accelerated hard..and still no jumping..it's as if the problem didn't exist.

So could this issue be related to the airflow meter..maybe getting dirty connections from my recent bout of greenlaning, or could this just be fluke?..it just seems odd that the problem would go away like that..just as suddeny as it appeared

Yes it could be the AFM I suppose, if it is saying there is more or less air going in than there actually is then the mixture would be up **** creek - disconnecting the AFM probably makes the ECU use a default set of airflow values based on rpm I would think.