Ignition

Nev

My engine still runs and the ignition lights stay on even when the keys are removed does anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this to happen. I have a 1982 series 3 lwb with a defender ignition.

Doesn't every series?

What engine have you got? If it's a standard series engine then it will have a manual pull stop, where you pull a cable and it in turn stops the fuel flow in the pump.

A later defender ignition probably uses an electronic stop solenoid to cut the fuel which wouldn't be compatible on a series engine.

Easiest and cheapest option would be to buy a series ignition with the stop cable

I believe only diesels have pull stop, since petrol engines will stop when you remove power to the ignition.

Very true - Just presumed it was a diesel from the fact that it kept running.

Having re-read it - the poster doesn't state diesel or petrol so I guess we'll have to wait and see :lol:

Just looked and found another post with his reg shown which the DVLA lookup shows it is a petrol 2.25.

So I'm only guessing as I've never seen one, but couldn't you just run a switch in the low tension side of the circuit and cut power to the electrics? As FridgeFreezer states it's probably a faulty ignition switch or it's not wired up properly

So I'm only guessing as I've never seen one, but couldn't you just run a switch in the low tension side of the circuit and cut power to the electrics?

Err, you could, but I fail to see how that's any less time, money, or effort than just replacing the easy-to-get-at-and-not-expensive-to-buy ignition switch :huh:

Paddocks website has them from a whopping £9.10 to a massive £15 :o (Note you want the switch only, not the keys & barrel which is £66)

Sorry had to pop out for a bit. To confirm it is a 2.25 petrol and is fitted with a defender ignition. Looked at paddock spares and was surprised at the price for a series ignition £66 are they having a laugh. Anyhoo have got a spare defender ignition and will fit that tomorrow and see if thats the problem. Also disconnected the battery with the ignition off and the engine is still running does that mean anything at all. Thanks for all your replys much appreciated.

Looked at paddock spares and was surprised at the price for a series ignition £66 are they having a laugh.

That's the ignition barrel, not the switch that clips to the back. Paddocks do 551508, which is a complete ignition switch according to the S3 parts book, or there's 579085 which looks like the version that works with the steering column lock. Neither are expensive.

Also disconnected the battery with the ignition off and the engine is still running does that mean anything at all.

Yes, it means you risk b*ggering up your alternator :P

The car will still run with no battery because the alternator is still turning so it's still generating electricity.