Fitting Instructions For Disco TD5 SLS Compressor - HELP!!

rjsdavis

Dear all

I have a Disco 2, with the typical air compressor failure - diagnosed by computer. I've got the replacement ready to fit, but haven't tackled an SLS replacement before.

The system is still partially inflated and there are no air leaks. I'm concerned that as soon as I disconnect the existing compressor, the back end will fall down onto the bump stops. I'm then concerned about the new one needing to be piped into the system in a certain way - but I may be overly concerned about this...

Is there a tech series on the process of fitting a new compressor anywhere? I've got the LR Tech Workshop manual, but it doesn't actually cover the removal / refitting in significant detail. Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Richard

PS - I know a few purists will suggest a coil conversion - I don't want to do this thanks!

Jack up the suspension into off road mode and either put axle stands under the chassis or wooden blocks in under the bump stops :)

Hi Bogmonster

Thanks for the reply. I can't put the Disco into off-road mode, as the compressor has gone completely. Whenever you press the o/r mode button on the dash, the amber light on the instrument cluster will simply flash forever and the suspension will do nothing.

As said, there is still air in the system, which is why the car is hanging low at the back, but it's not completely deflated and resting on the bumpstops presently. I can guess that this is a pressurised system, and as soon as the air pipes are disconnected, it will deflate completely down onto it's bumpstops. I was trying to work out if it's as simple as disconnecting the air pipes at the compressor end, unbolting the compressor, bolting in the new compressor, reconnecting the air pipes and turning the enine on??!! This seems to be too good (and too easy) to be true, and I'm just concious of f***ing it up inadvertently.

I've seen some really fantastic "how to" guides here on these forums and wondered if one existed for this job? I just don't want to get it wrong by missing out some essential step which I wasn't aware of....

It's quite a simple job. Couple of bolts and the air connections. Best to take a photo of the air connections so you don't get them mixed up which will confuse the system no end.

Thanks for this also Jim - you can see my reply to bogmonster, and this just seems to easy to be true.... surely it's more complicated than this?!

I would jack up the back end and put it on stands then but yes in principle you could probably just disconnect the air pipes. To do it "properly" you are supposed to depressurise the system on a Testbook but I expect if you jack it up to reduce the pressure in the springs, it will be low enough not to matter.

I would jack up the back end and put it on stands then but yes in principle you could probably just disconnect the air pipes. To do it "properly" you are supposed to depressurise the system on a Testbook but I expect if you jack it up to reduce the pressure in the springs, it will be low enough not to matter.

Thanks - I'll give this a go. Will let you know how I get on!