Strange sound from gearbox

As of the past 2 days, I'm beginning to hear a strange 'wonking' sound from my landie when it reaches 60km/h. If i hold steady at the speed (with the accelerator), i hear it continuously. If i drop speed or pick up, it goes away. if i clutch in, it's goes away. Free revving of the engine in neutral, moving and stationary does not create this sound.

Is this a sign of failure of anything major in the gear box or is something screaming for attention that it's not getting? Could it be a sign of vibration which could mean the mounting? Clutch plate? fork? release bearing?

I'm starting to get a little frustrated of late as various bits seem to be breaking down one after another. on the exterior, my landie looks like she just left the showroom a day ago, but on the inside it seems like there more than what is desirable. :unsure:

ok, i'll have a check when i arrive at the office tomorrow. the car park floor is cleaner there as it's new.

So basically i just crawl under, grab the prop and wiggle it. problem might be on the front one. what's the part number for the UJ? should i just change all 4 of them? any recomendations to what brand should i go with this round?

planning to ship in a fuel pump for the vehicle soon, so i guess i better get all my bits in together.

As for parts, especially drivetrain related, I believe you get what you pay for. I'd go for genuine UJs and make sure they have a grease nipple.

Changing is easy and can be done by carefully using a set of spanners and Land Rover Tool #1 (Big hammer)

ok, i've put the entire truck up on the ramp and ran all the wheels lifted off the ground together. the sound seems to be coming from the front end of the truck. engine was too loud to hear while under the truck. ok, sounds pretty dangerous, but i'm still alive.

the U-joints are all ok and there's no unusual vibrations when driving.

bearing? or differential as the next suspect? or what else could possibly be wrong. the guy at the workshop has no idea too. shall i remove the front prop and try driving around on rear wheels? will i screw up anything this way?

the strange thing i noticed is that the rear wheels spin faster than the front when they are all lifted off the ground, so there must be like 60/40 split at the t-box?