Discovery I - 300 tdi - interior fan heater problem

john01473

See the tech archive for details of the spider but no it is not likely to have any bearing on the fault you have. The switch is a possible culprit as sometimes they go a bit funny.

thanks for advice - checked the tech archive - so yes not spider - going to parts dealer tomorrow will order switch - i bet changing it is another thing.

cheers - thanks alot mate.

Big John

Hi There,

I had the same problem, and it was the connector unit in the passengers footwell side panel. As I have never heard of it being called the Spider, I will have to look it up as well.

This unit has a number of spade terminals on it and the one to the heater can carry well over 10 amps which is the maximum load for a 1/4" spade terminal, and as it gets hot it lets go and as it cools it makes contact again.

I cut the spade off and put a proper ring tag on and put it under the same nut that the whole tag assembly mounts on. All ok for a year now.

I also know the previous owner had the heater fan unit changed to try to cure this fault. Amazing what a cheap multimeter and a wiring diagram can fix.

Hi There,

I had the same problem, and it was the connector unit in the passengers footwell side panel. As I have never heard of it being called the Spider, I will have to look it up as well.

This unit has a number of spade terminals on it and the one to the heater can carry well over 10 amps which is the maximum load for a 1/4" spade terminal, and as it gets hot it lets go and as it cools it makes contact again.

I cut the spade off and put a proper ring tag on and put it under the same nut that the whole tag assembly mounts on. All ok for a year now.

I also know the previous owner had the heater fan unit changed to try to cure this fault. Amazing what a cheap multimeter and a wiring diagram can fix.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

thanks - that panel has been off a few times - previos owner - will have a look in their.

as i say the truth is out there - and you guys know it

cheers

Big John

Mine had the same problem, it was leaking water from the heater coil into the electrics.

A wet carpet smell is usually the giveaway.

I looped the heater hoses & cut out the heater altogether because the local mob wanted $1500 to put in a new coil.