Freelander Seat Modifications

Topple

I'm thinking of buying a Freelander but i'm 6ft6, long in the body and I struggle with headroom. I have driven one with the seat in a somewhat reclined position but my head still scrapes the roof lining so it's no good for regular use. The main advantage of other vehicles is lower, adjustable seats so i've been thinking about buying a Freelander and lowering the drivers seat.

It looks like I could gain an inch or two by taking an angle grinder to the seat base and more if I sacrificed the seat rails. I'd prefer a bolt in solution as i'm very short of time. Does anyone else have experience of replacing or lowering Freelander seats ? Are there any off the shelf seats or subframes which would slot in easily. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Forgive me if i am totally wrong or talking rubbish here but if you lower the seat will you not mess up the safety ratio of where the airbag in the steering wheel depolys together with the angles of the seat belts and their pre tensioners? Plus you'll totally f up your resale value!

I am 6'2" and don't have a problem although my latest freelander is an SE TD4 with the chunky leather seats (which are certainly higher than the old GS model that I had previously) to the extent that I can't see the top of the speedo any more. So the advice to you is to beware of the SE models with the chunky leather seats.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

I'm having a similar problem. 3 door mk1, it's not the head height. It's the leg space. I'm 6'10" and my knees are halfway up the steering wheel. I need the seat to go back a little further. Cant find any longer seat runners other than for a defender. 

Any help or somewhere to get some would be great, thanks 👍