Urgent fuel tank help!

Hello one and all.

I have converted a V8 CSW to a 300tdi, using a disco engine and box.

I have used the V8 petrol tank and replaced the petrol sender on the side of the tank with a diesel one with a pick up pipe.

The petrol fuel pump is still in the tank but not connected - ie the wiring disconected.

Now this is where i don't know if I've gone wrong.

I have used the pick up on the side of the tank as the in-feed fot the lift pump and then I have attached the return pipe from the fuel pump to the return pipe on the fuel tank on the opposite side of tank to the fuel sender.

The car did run and drive, but was vaery down on power and when i backed of the throttle it stalled. and I tried to drive up a hill that was local to me and it just lost power and stalled.

And after the truck has been idling then it is turned off, you can here the fuel draining back into the tank, through the return pipe, surely it should stay primed?

There is no sedimeter on this, do I need it?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

I have the MOT booked tomorrrow and I only have this afternoon to sort it and a few other problems out :blink:

Thanks in advance

Andi

What lift pump are you using - the 300TDi one?

If you have what is essentially the same pipe circuit, then the lift pump is the usual culprit - valve failure. Draining back usually makes it very difficult to start, but once running there's only a lack of top-end power

Les.

Hello one and all.

I have converted a V8 CSW to a 300tdi, using a disco engine and box.

I have used the V8 petrol tank and replaced the petrol sender on the side of the tank with a diesel one with a pick up pipe.

The petrol fuel pump is still in the tank but not connected - ie the wiring disconected.

Now this is where i don't know if I've gone wrong.

I have used the pick up on the side of the tank as the in-feed fot the lift pump and then I have attached the return pipe from the fuel pump to the return pipe on the fuel tank on the opposite side of tank to the fuel sender.

The car did run and drive, but was vaery down on power and when i backed of the throttle it stalled. and I tried to drive up a hill that was local to me and it just lost power and stalled.

And after the truck has been idling then it is turned off, you can here the fuel draining back into the tank, through the return pipe, surely it should stay primed?

There is no sedimeter on this, do I need it?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

I have the MOT booked tomorrrow and I only have this afternoon to sort it and a few other problems out :blink:

Thanks in advance

Andi

Have you tried to use the petrol pump setup instead. Sound like the suction isn't good, how much fuel do you have in the tank a few gallons slopping around might cause the diesel pump not to prime properly. There maybe a good chance that disconnect the petrol pump may allowed air to enter instead of the sealing affect when you a cap. Hope this helps.

What lift pump are you using - the 300TDi one?

If you have what is essentially the same pipe circuit, then the lift pump is the usual culprit - valve failure. Draining back usually makes it very difficult to start, but once running there's only a lack of top-end power

Les.

Les that sounds about right, do you think the pipe setup is fine?

So would the lift pump account for the fuel draining back and the lack of power?

If the electric pump is still on the end of the pick-up pipe then it is probably the problem. Cut it off and replace with a straight length of hose. The main filter will stop the dirt and the engine mounted pump will be plenty strong enough. (Same problem last weekend so am pretty sure this will help!)

The pipes are connected as follows:

Senser unit on side of tank, changed to diesel - connected to fuel lift pump

Return pipe connected to the return pipe on the side of the tank,

The petrol fuel pump is still in the tank in the middle with the outlet pipe blanked offand the wires disconected.

Effectively dud.

I'm leaning towards the lift pump being suspect then.

What about a pressurising fuel tank? Are all the breathers working properly and is the old petrol cap suitable for use in the diesel? I had a TD that had similar symptoms - would run ok, lack of power and when running for a while would stall as if fuel starvation - it turned out the fuel tank was pressurising and i took the cap apart, cleaned it and put it back together and it fixed everything...

Would the position of the return on this tank make any difference i wouldn't have thought so, but at some points the actual outlet of the return to the tank will be below the level of a full tank and may cause fuel to back up in the return line - just a thought..