charge cooling a 200tdi

i looked into this a while ago and eventually decided just to go with normal intercooler.

i was looking at a legacy charge cooler as one was available. i had read as a rule of thumb (which may be rubbish, but i have no way of knowing) that by area charge cooling is 4x more efficient than intercooling as water is rather good at getting rid of heat. the issue here was that the cooling area inside the legacy charge cooler was quite small and less than 1/4 of the size of intercooler i had. it would also proabbly have had to sit on top of the engine, which is cool for a boxer, but i would have probably had to cut a hole in the bonnet. also, sitting on top of a hot engine is not brilliant.

you should be able to get more cooling out of a charge cooler and the proximity to inlet and turbo should reduce lag quite a bit. i think they really come into their own when you have a rear engined car and its not practical to run turbo hoses the length of the car or in drag racing where you can cool the water to less than ambient temperature before the race, thereby gaining superior cooling than would be possible with an air to air intercooler.

i think intercooling is easier, hence why you hardly see any charge cooled cars, but i wouldn't discount it as an option if you are willing to experiment a bit or have an unusual packaging situation that means you can't use a normal air-air intercooler. i don't think in your situation you need a charge cooler, but that's not to say you shouldn't give it a try.

i have just removed a courtenay charge cooler that i was was running on my 200tdi and it didnt affect the performance, although if its four offroading it would be a good idea to fit a small fan on the charge radiator to keep the airflow when stationary.

I use a 90 and moved the rad back because I have a bigger intercooler fitted. the 300tdi rad has both the input and output on the same side you can use this to pull the rad back to the steeringbox with very little effort and my intercooler then fits slightly further back on the standard rad. there is very little difference in the cooling but you have to use an electric fan.

thanks for your help guys i was hoping to centralise the rad to miss the steering box when i pull it back,this in turn means there would be no room at the side of the rad for the intercooler so my options were to fit a charce cooler somewhere,or buy a different style cooler that would fit above the winch??redben101 what made you remove the charge cooler and what was the fit like under the bonnet??

hi been looking at moving the rad back on my 200tdi defender so i could put my 8274 behind the grill.ive been looking at charge coolers for saving space etc but will they damage the engine as a everyday thing as info says good for 1/4 mile etc???

If all you have is a tank of cold/iced water, then yes, it's only good for a drag race, but if you have the time to engineer a proper solution it can be much better than air:air intercooling. Like everything it's a compromise, but the fact that you have a lot more flexibility on where you put the rad can help. And of course you can have multiple rads. A lot of turbo petrol cars use a pair of oil coolers one on either side, so they minimise disruption to airflow through the main rad. more tricky in LRs but still possible. and wherever they are they can still fill with mud...