1961 Land Rover Series 2 Restoration

Land RoRo

I have here a 1961 series 2 needing a rebuild...

Driven to the south of France 20 years ago it has sat in a field and used for 2 weeks a year as a plaything in some fields

It runs, it moves, it does not have effective brakes and has not had the oil changed in 20 years.

Is it worth going coil spring as the chassis needs replacing anyway and is there an engine which fits in there without modification?

thanks

post-11269-1225728852.jpg

Put parabolic leaf springs on it - you get a lot softer ride without the expense. Not many engines will just slot in without some kind of modification - at the minimum, chassis engine mount, a wee bit of wiring, and throttle modifications. 2.5 N/A & T/D engines bolt straight on, but require some modifications, as will the 200 and 300TDi's. If you have a petrol engine now, then you can go the V8 conversion route - V6 Essex (Ford lump), 3.5, 3.9, 4.6 V8 engines. Other engines do well in a Land Rover, such as the Prima engine, but require a conversion kit, as do some other engines.

If you have the petrol engine, then perhaps a Turner Engineering performance head would be enough.

What exactly do you want out of the/a engine?

Les.

Put parabolic leaf springs on it - you get a lot softer ride without the expense. Not many engines will just slot in without some kind of modification - at the minimum, chassis engine mount, a wee bit of wiring, and throttle modifications. 2.5 N/A & T/D engines bolt straight on, but require some modifications, as will the 200 and 300TDi's. If you have a petrol engine now, then you can go the V8 conversion route - V6 Essex (Ford lump), 3.5, 3.9, 4.6 V8 engines. Other engines do well in a Land Rover, such as the Prima engine, but require a conversion kit, as do some other engines.

If you have the petrol engine, then perhaps a Turner Engineering performance head would be enough.

What exactly do you want out of the/a engine?

Les.

Hmm I'm thinking of using it as an everyday car but also using it as a serious offroader and take it on trips.

Also the other reason I wanted coil springs is because the breaks are destroyed, and discs are a must as drums have always been LR shortfalls as I was told it is very difficult to fit discs onto leaves.

The engine would need enough to cope with motorways and offroads so needs some ompf.

thanks

For an everyday car, I'm guessing you'd want a diesel - but there aren't any that will just bolt in except the 2.25D which is a little .. ahem .. lacklustre. For the reasons you give, you want coil springs and disc brakes. If people aren't going to laugh at you you'll want a car which is the same colour all over.

I have to ask - is this the right car to start with?

Being totally practical it's going to set you back a couple of thousand to restore this a standard where you can drive it daily and off road it. Even then you wouldn't want to drive it very far.

For that money you could get a reasonable Disco and a set of mud tyres. (and have some cash left over)

You aren't planning on keeping it in France, are you?

I think the French have very strict rules about what you can and can't change on cars, might be worth checking before you spend money on it.

G.

You aren't planning on keeping it in France, are you?

I think the French have very strict rules about what you can and can't change on cars, might be worth checking before you spend money on it.

G.

It is coming home and yes it is getting sprayed

Also I would get a disco if it weren't for the sentimental value otherwise it would make no sense

and I will stick to a petrol engine thanks, anyone know of any which are best suited to an LPG conversion in the future?

thanks all