Lack of power from Td5

plasticbadger

I've been noticing a real lack of power from my 1999 Td5 for quite a while now. Yesterday it went into a local garage for a full 12,000 mile service and they commented that it felt 'gutless' too. They tried a few thing like checking the waste gate operated and so on, but haven't really found any other cause. All other aspects of the engine running are fine.

Is this somebody has experienced? What are the likely causes and what can I check first? I can't really hear turbo noise from in the car, should I be able to? Obviously it has just had a full service so I can already rule out dirty filters etc. I've also recently cleaned the mass air sensor, which i know can cause problems.

If you can get it to a pooter you can check the ambient and absolute pressures and see how the turbo is doing.

With a TD5 you should be able to hear a whistle in the exhaust pipe at idle.

You can also easily feel for play in the turbo spindle - there should be very little, if any.

Check for delaminated turbo pipes on both sides of the intercooler.

12.000mile service interval, as opposed to 6k and 24k i think is what he meant,

as to your question air mass sensors are common faults on most cars, cleaning them once they have failed doesnt usually help, and be careful with them as they are fragile, is there a possibility that you can try borrowing an air mass off of another td5? your nearest lr dealer should be able to try one out of stock and see if its any better

12.000mile service interval, as opposed to 6k and 24k i think is what he meant,

as to your question air mass sensors are common faults on most cars, cleaning them once they have failed doesnt usually help, and be careful with them as they are fragile, is there a possibility that you can try borrowing an air mass off of another td5? your nearest lr dealer should be able to try one out of stock and see if its any better

This is why I suggested disconnecting it,the default value will give almost as much performance as a decent airflow meter.It takes seconds to do,costs nothing and is a very good indicator - esp as a DIY measure.Till this has been done there is little point in worrying about boost pressure,amb temp etc.

If you can get it to a pooter you can check the ambient and absolute pressures and see how the turbo is doing.

With a TD5 you should be able to hear a whistle in the exhaust pipe at idle.

You can also easily feel for play in the turbo spindle - there should be very little, if any.

Check for delaminated turbo pipes on both sides of the intercooler.

I'll check these bits, plus the disconnect the air flow sensor. I have access to a Snap On multi reader which I've had it on before, but I'll have to check if that gives me ambient and absolute pressures. The turbo does slightly wistle at idle, but I can't hear it any other time.

Sorry to be a bit OT - but it seems amazing that you have a 99 TD5 with only 12000 miles on the clock!?

It was a 12,000 mile service, for the 11th time :lol: but, yes I meant as in service content!

Do you get any white smoke on startup from cold? If so, it is worth checking the compression of no 1 cylinder. I say no 1 because it seems to wear faster than the others, we have had a couple of cases where the compression of no 1 was zero or almost zero and the others were ok. You need, of course, a diesel compression tester with the correct adaptor for the glow plug hole.

Do you get any white smoke on startup from cold? If so, it is worth checking the compression of no 1 cylinder. I say no 1 because it seems to wear faster than the others, we have had a couple of cases where the compression of no 1 was zero or almost zero and the others were ok. You need, of course, a diesel compression tester with the correct adaptor for the glow plug hole.

I haven't checked the compression, but it ticks over smoothly and there's no smoke, so I can't imagine that one cylinder is any lower than the others. If I don't have joy with the other suggestions then I'll get the compression tester on it (if I have the correct adaptor!)