19J injector pump problems??

stobbie

I've bought a non running Land Rover 110 TD.

I know a 19J engine which doesn't run isn't the smartest thing to buy...but it was very very cheap so I thought I'd give it a try..

The seller thought it has a problem with the injector pump. I see a strange valve in the engine bay, so maybe they let it run on some biofuel or something, the stuff in the tank smells very strange.

Engine is very clean, turbo and pipes have no traces of oil in them, so maybe this engine isn't too bad.

fuelpump works.

Engine starts on brake cleaner, but does not run without that.

Could this be the injector pump? Any other ideas?

Have you done the manual bleeding operations, by the book? IE as if the high pressure pump is empty.

"I see a strange valve in the engine bay, "

I think we would need to see a picture before starting to guess about that. You haven't even said which pipe run it is in!!

Have you done the manual bleeding operations, by the book? IE as if the high pressure pump is empty.

"I see a strange valve in the engine bay, "

I think we would need to see a picture before starting to guess about that. You haven't even said which pipe run it is in!!

I didn't do the bleeding, but shouldn't it bleed itself when the engine is running on brake cleaner?

I'll try to make a picture of the valve tomorrow, however, it isn't connected anymore. It's just getting its fuel from the normal tank.

Because I didn't trust the contents of the fueltank to be diesel, I've connected the fuelpump to a container with diesel. So it's definatly plain diesel now...

I didn't do the bleeding, but shouldn't it bleed itself when the engine is running on brake cleaner?

I'd say it depends on how long the brake cleaner kept it running for. I would have guessed it ran for less than 30 seconds?

Now you know it won't self bleed in however many seconds it ran for, you need to do some diagnosis.

If the bleeding is done manually you get to check that each element of the system is flowing fuel.

The process in the Workshop Manual gets you to the point that the injector pump is full of fuel.

If that is OK you need to loosen the pipe connections at the injectors to see if fuel is reaching them all, either by spinning the engine by the starter, or by running it for a short time on brake cleaner.

As you have suspicions about the tank contents, perhaps the injectors are all gummed shut.

I'll try to make a picture of the valve tomorrow, however, it isn't connected anymore. It's just getting its fuel from the normal tank.

Is the valve before or after the lift pump, where is it in relation to the filter?

I suppose that begs the question, have you drained or replaced the filter?

Because I didn't trust the contents of the fueltank to be diesel, I've connected the fuelpump to a container with diesel. So it's definatly plain diesel now...

The picture may still be useful, as to someone it may be a clue as to what 'fuel' the system was using.

Cheers.

agreed, the air needs bleeding out as best as you can. air compresses very easily whereas diesel does not. compressed air anywhere between the pump and the injectors will not generate the pressure required to overcome the injector spring and open the nozzle