Captive nuts!

ROGUE TROOPER

Im looking for nuts that fix a capstan winch to the front cross member (series 3)

Amyone know how where to get them?

Ta

would they be riv-nuts as that was what was in the instructions for my 525, you can find them on ebay and the tools ;) UNF is quite common with Riv-Nuts so you maintain your vehicle being standard waha whahaaha whahaahahahahahahaaaa :lol:

Hi Guys,

It is possible to set a riv-nut without the proper tool.

Just drill a hole in a flat piece of bar a few inches long (6 is good). The hole should be no bigger than required for the bolt to pass through. Place a washer on the bolt, bolt through metal and then into riv-nut. Place rivnut in hole and tighten bolt with socket.

The friction between the metal bar and the riv-nut stop it turning, the washer makes it easier to turn the bolt.

Once tight remove bolt and check riv-nut is seated properly.

This method is not always perfect and a practice run is advised.

As it seems to me that you guys are pretty competent you may find this is the far cheaper option.

Kevin

Hi Guys,

It is possible to set a riv-nut without the proper tool.

Just drill a hole in a flat piece of bar a few inches long (6 is good). The hole should be no bigger than required for the bolt to pass through. Place a washer on the bolt, bolt through metal and then into riv-nut. Place rivnut in hole and tighten bolt with socket.

The friction between the metal bar and the riv-nut stop it turning, the washer makes it easier to turn the bolt.

Once tight remove bolt and check riv-nut is seated properly.

This method is not always perfect and a practice run is advised.

As it seems to me that you guys are pretty competent you may find this is the far cheaper option.

Kevin

I chatted to Rogue on the phone since he's 800 yards from my house to his and this is how I put it:

Get a Screw that is right for the rivnut, a nut for the screw and a washer (preferably a penny washer)

run the nut down to the bottom of the screw and place the washer over as well.

Fit the screw with the nut and washer into the riv nut and get the thread protruding through

shove the lot in the hole and run the nut and washer down the screw until they come up against the rivnut.

Hold the head of the screw with one spanner, and then trying to undoe the nut with another spanner will cause the screw to be "attempted" to be extracted from the rivnut, but as it's threaded it can't release and the rivnut will be compressed.

do-up the nut back down the screw to release the tension, and then undo the screw to remove the whole lot from the fitted rivnut

well, thats the theory :ph34r:

yup you need that extra oversized nut to stop the rivnut turning. I used an old socket with molegrips on it. oilling or greasing the washers really does make it a lot easier.

rivnut1.jpg

rivnut2.jpg

I've fitted about 8 rivnuts using that setup, for my door locks and snorkle, the bolts become disposable items as the thread gets a bit chewed up after a few goes.

Luke