Power steering setup - where to source the rest

Chris Davies

I've managed to get hold of a Chris Perfect power steering ram, and now need to get hold of the rest of the bits for the conversion. I know I will need a pump, a resevoir and I assume some sort of double pully to drive the pump.

I'd like to source the bits second hand so what am I best looking for - it will eventually be used with a 2.5 NAD from a defender so am I best sticking with a defender pump and resevoir or will it be easier with range rover bits or what?

Thanks

standard double pulley on the front of a 2.5n/a will run the pas pump fine, any of the 90 pumps will run the ram ok and easy enough to fit up. dont fit pump in the normal 90 position though, ie under the alternator cos your front axle under full compression of the suspension will give the pulley a clout.

Al, PM sent, thanks.

Tonk, was hoping you would read this 'cos you've done something similar haven't you? So I can mix and match pumps and resevoirs form different vehicles, but the pump needs to be a 90 one?

Minivin, thanks for the offer, may be able to take you up on that depending on the info I get off this thread.

personally i'd use a 90 pump, they're all the same rate afaik but have inlet/outlets at different points on the casings, i use a petrol 2.5 pump, i mounted mine ontop of where the aircon compressor would normally sit, ontop of the injection pump. i bolted my pump to the standard tdi moutning plate ;)

easy to run a belt upto it and plumb it in.

u can see it here, just below the air filter housing

psteering1.jpg

i have a 200 tdi pump kicking round at home somewhere :unsure:

So I assume that you swapped to the pump off a 2.5 petrol because it the connections were better placed?

Still may be interested in it however (if it is up for sale!!) but could do with going down the simplest route possible so as not to over tax my very limited fabrication skills !!

So assuming some sort of mounting plate could be fabricated (or bought off the shelf) what are you then bolting it to when you move it from its usual position under the alternator? Presumably a non standard sized drive belt would then also be needed.

What about the reservoir, does this need to be mounted in a particular way or just to any convienient point on the inner wing or bulkhead?

Thanks for all the help so far.

reservoir can go just about anywhere really, higher than the pump is a good idea though. to mount the pump, bolt it to the plate, then my plate just bolts on the front of the casing with one of the bolts that holds the timing cover on, its a long bolt which goes right back through to the block iirc. then just make up a tensioning arm off another one of the front bolts to adjust it, i use a 1100 x 13 vee belt, available from all motor factors

I wish you wern't at the other end of the country all this thinking out of the box makes my head hurt :o

This conversion is a fair way off as yet, I've still got the headache of the engine swop to do first but when I do get on with it a few more photo's may well help alot, but for now at least I can start gathering the parts I need.