SVA QUESTION

tel

The guy from VOSA told me that I WOULD be able to SVA a bobtail in the Amateur Built Vehicles category. The downside was that they would need proof that I had built the whole car myself - from the ground up. It makes making a bobtail a lot more work than just shortening the back end.

Bear in mind since that lot was written the SVA has changed - for a while the sky was falling but it turned out to be not so scary, so they may have straightened things out with vehicles like that.

Can you give me some more details on these changes then Fridge? Just finished stripping my Disco for a Trayback and the chassis is begging for the chop but I want to keep it road legal

Brookers

My suggestion would be to make an appointment to see the technical officer at your local DVLA office.

Take with you a pile of photos showing that you are doing the work yourself (amateur build status) and in particular views of the chassis in the area you are going to chop. If you can, use photo shop to edit the photo to show what it will look like after and that the winch tray or bumper will add more strength than the somewhat corroded cross member does at present.

He may agree that the chassis mod is not significant and allow you to retain the chassis number and register a change of body style.

He may decide that a new chassis number must be allocated (as with my Dakar) and then SVA required. In your case you should be able to apply for a commercial SVA (because you have a loadspace) which is far less stringent.

If you go this route you will end up with a completely legal vehicle.......until you start doing further mods.

Steve

Can you give me some more details on these changes then Fridge?

Nope, I just remember seeing a load of wailing and gnashing of teeth on various forums before the changes came in, and then a slow trickle of brave souls who SVA'd their builds and found it actually far less painful than they were expecting. I'd suggest listening to someone who's actually done it, such as Steve above.

DVLA office at Bristol....but talk about blind leading the blind :rolleyes:

SVA centre at Avonmouth were spot on and answered any questions I asked.

Trouble with Bobtails/Hybrids is the local offices all take a different view on what does or does not need an SVA !

So everything is not black and white, take it to have it looked at and get the answers in wrinting before you start....not that, thats any defence in a accident and it don't comply with C&U Regs :huh:

Now im in East Somerset, are there any friendly DVLA offices in the south that I may stand a better chance at :ph34r: I'm not bothered about traveling to get the answer I want!

I think you will find that they insist you use your local DVLA office - although you can choose your SVA testing station.

"applications from outside a DVLA local office's catchment area will be refused"

Local DVLA offices