Disco 3

PeterL

Went to buy a new 90 hard top with a/c, abs, tc, climate pack etc and the dealer suggested I have a disco 3 commercial. After his calculator clicked away, the disco 3 commercial came in £400 cheaper (hell of a discount).

More comfort, hp, torque etc, but I still have reservations over the Terrain response and all the electric gismo's, any feed back of problems / faults of either vechile would be appreciated.

Are there aftermarket spares available fro the disco 3 yet, brake pads etc etc

Went to buy a new 90 hard top with a/c, abs, tc, climate pack etc and the dealer suggested I have a disco 3 commercial. After his calculator clicked away, the disco 3 commercial came in £400 cheaper (hell of a discount).

More comfort, hp, torque etc, but I still have reservations over the Terrain response and all the electric gismo's, any feed back of problems / faults of either vechile would be appreciated.

Well you couldn't have picked two different vehicles :huh:

As the vehicle is going to be under warranty it would probably make sense to stick with genuine parts for at least 3 years?

As for the electrickery, well it depends what you are wanting from the vehicle? These are both different beasts (and I know which one I'd choose to live with as a daily driver...) I have a D2 commercial and for green laning, even on road tyres, it has proven very capable. If it goes wrong? Well yours is going to be under warranty :P

I think that you are asking the wrong questions to be honest. I think that you need to ask yourself which vehicle will suit your daily needs in reality That should help your choice more than worrying about the electrics and spares.

Electrickery isn't something you would want in the Kalahari but having said that a full house Puma 90 these days isn't short of it either, and has more water inside than a D3...

Horses for courses and I think I agree with Marks and Spencer :)

I've run a D3 for 4 years now, its done 114000 miles. Its not been trouble free, but its only needed recovery once. Lots of niggles, especially the electronic park brake which is not up to the job if you go off road. Having said that, the dealers seem to be on top of this now.

Mine has just incurred its first big expense. It failed its second MOT on several points. The most expensive being the rear upper wishbone bushes were shot. It was extremely difficult to remove the bolts, and much cutting was required. A nightmare job and a very large bill :(

Also, the front bottom wishbone ball joints are weak, There is a new part now available which is supposed to last longer, but mine has been through 2 sets already.

The general vehicle electronics have been completely fault free on mine, and yes I have off-roaded it a fair bit. There are lots of accesories available.

I think more and more D3's are going to become affordable in the near future, they are now getting very cheap indeed. Book trade in price on mine is now less than 10k and its an HSE with all the toys :angry:

Thanks for all your views, yes I agree two different vechiles, but same price.......

I guess the 90 body will last longer, but I have reservations about the Puma engine and it's electrics.

Will keep on looking at the pro's and cons, just don't know if I could live with the lack of refinment and crampt cabin.

Oner of the guys in our club had to get his LR3 recovered from the Desert at the weekend because the fan seized and he over heated it.

Apart from that it seems to cope well with what we have over here....finding decent tyres for it is a problem apparently.

Mine has just incurred its first big expense. It failed its second MOT on several points. The most expensive being the rear upper wishbone bushes were shot. It was extremely difficult to remove the bolts, and much cutting was required. A nightmare job and a very large bill :(

That is probably because the D3 suspension has lots of places with bolts with loads of thread sticking through which will be nigh on impossible to remove once they are all corroded to hell, I guess they will all be like that especially roadgoing ones where the bolts won't move for 5-10 years!

General vehicle electronics aren't bad, the weak points have been

EGR valves

Air suspension

ABS sensors

EGR valves

The odd turbo going pop

EGR valves

Wheels wearing out

Tyre wear isn't good and tyre choice is worse.

Another problem (talking about reliability off road) is that failure of one system often provokes a hissy fit in everything it talks to, I have seen one vehicle where failure of one rear ABS sensor caused the air suspension to spit the dummy, and the traction control/terrain response completely shut down as well as the ABS not working correctly.