Eberspacher D1LC Heater Problem

Ben Womersley

Hi guys,

After buying 2 24aH lead acid batteries to power my 24V Eberspacher D1LC (I think; the part no has worn off the unit), I have put the eber on my bench to test it before installing in the 90. It is the type with an external control unit, external glow plug relay, a thermostat control with switch and 2 LED's (red and green).

When I switch the unit on, the red and green LED come on, the fan powers up using just under 1A, a few seconds later the glow plug turns on using 11A. The fuel pump makes no attempt to do anything, so the glow plug stays on. The voltage from the batteries is 24.6V with the glow plug on, so it is not the usual voltage problem.

I have disconnected the pump, and there seems to be a constant 20V over the pump terminals (yellow and green wires), when the pump is connected, there is only 0.2V across the terminals. I have tested the pump without tapping the wires onto the battery terminals, and it works fine.

I cant think of a way of testing if the pump is being 'pulsed', but it does not seem to be receiving enough power to actuate the pump at all.

Also, sometimes when the unit is connected to the power, even with the on/off switch in the off position, then heater box makes a whining noise, as though there is a buzzer in it? I have no idea what this is!

Can anybody shed any light on this? Im out of ideas

Thanks, Ben

Sorry, I dont think I made that very clear... I have left it with the glow plug on for over 5 mins, but there is nothing from the pump. The starting process is: Turn on: Fan and LED's come on, few seconds later glow plug comes on and stays on permenantly (for over 5 mins)

I have printed and read the manuals from espar.com, The wiring matches the diagram for the D1LC 24V universal model

I have just put a multimeter over the flame sensor, internal temp sensor, overheat switch and glow plug. They all have a correct resistance according to the manual. I can only assume that the problem is something to do with the control box as all other components seem to work.

while the glow plug is on, after about 30 secs as fridge says the fuel pump will try and put fuel in to the heater. The pump is a solenoid pump and will "tick" in normal use, the fan should have started running before the fuel pump cuts in.

I resorted to getting a service inspection done on mine as i was sold the unit with the wrong control box. Your control unit will trip out to avoid nasties once the heater has failed to start 5/10 times. Usually to stop you forcing the unit on with constant thermo trip or no fan etc etc. so they can inspect your setup and rectify. Good idea bu PITA. :P

Pete