Series III Bonnet Tyre Traps

minivin

Got a new bonnet strap for my SIII 109, unlike what I would expect where you pull it through and a spring latched anti-return clamp stops the strap going back until you press the release, this is a "feed and lace" type which you then possibly flick-over to finish the retention.

Anybody got an explanation how to thread these things, I'll see if I can get a picture of it, at work at present :rolleyes:

Fecking thing, totally different to anything I have seen:

DSCF1810.jpg

DSCF1811.jpg

Problem is, I finally got it to lock and seem to hold the tension:

DSCF1812.jpg

But a couple of pings on the lead as per if it was going heavy off road and the thing pops open:

DSCF1813.jpg

Is there a way of threading this thing that I am missing as I have tried about five other routes and they wont hold closed :angry: Could be resorting to a ty-wrap to hold it closed :(

Hi

This is from memory of about 10 years ago but here we go.

1:In pic 3 the buckle part is the wrong way up so swap the 2 straps at the bonnet side for side.

2:With the buckle laying flat like it is shown in pic 3, bring the other strap underneath & back thro the buckle, then dive it down to the underneath between the hinge & the first bar beyond the hinge on the Y strap side.

To tension flick buckle up, pull tail strap & flatten out buckle till the detents click in.

If you look in pic 3 you can see that the tension is trying to open the buckle as you have it threaded.

Hope this helps.