TDi300 1997 immobaliser

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi – my TDi300 enables the passive immobiliser automatically after 20/30 secs of switching off the engine, this is normal design feature so no issues there.

However, after when re-inserting the key with fob attached, the immobiliser is not being automatically disabled, so I have to press the un-lock on the fob.

According to the workshop manual, a signal is sent from an exciter coil wrapped around the ignition lock to the key fob, which in turn causes the key fob to re-transmit the disable signal to the immobiliser automatically.

I have removed the upper and lower steering column shrouds and can’t see the exciter coil fitted :(

Can anyone confirm what this exciter coil is supposed to look like and whether anyone else has the same problem ?

I found one on eBay here but it looks like it goes around the steering column rather than the lock barrel.

Mmmm, interesting one - so what happens if like me you hate the keys/zapper rubbing/banging against the trim and so have a key thats detachable from the zapper which then stays in your posket - does it still detect it?

This isnt a feature I knew existed or have seen working on mine. Wierd.

I have got that there exciter ring doo-dad, just dont know if it works!

Mmmm, interesting one - so what happens if like me you hate the keys/zapper rubbing/banging against the trim and so have a key thats detachable from the zapper which then stays in your posket - does it still detect it?

No - so don't do what somebody I know once did and tow a vehicle for miles off road because the bloody thing wouldn't start. Because he had taken the fob off the keyring and put it in the cubby box because the rattle was annoying him then stopped for a while and found it wouldn't go :)

Guest DiscoTD4
No - so don't do what somebody I know once did and tow a vehicle for miles off road because the bloody thing wouldn't start. Because he had taken the fob off the keyring and put it in the cubby box because the rattle was annoying him then stopped for a while and found it wouldn't go :)

I don't suppose that was very funny at the time ! :o

Guest DiscoTD4
It's supposed to look as in the picture on that ebay auction. Or like here - I recommend the seller, by the way.

I can confirm you that the coil goes around the switch. Maybe the thing is missing from your vehicle. Post pics if still in doubt.

Hi - many thanks, OK better have another look and post a pic as I didn't see anything like that. There was a black shroud around the lock, but it looked like was to do with the illumination/bulb.

DSCF0685_small.JPG

Cheers

Not all 300s have it. They started fitting it from 1996.

DiscoTd4, there isn't one. This is how it should have looked:

post-1725-1229645286_thumb.jpg

Search for the connector further down the harness (further down on the thick black harness in your picture). See if there's anything plugged in. If there is, follow the wires, maybe the coil was relocated.

If no coil, try to get and fit one.

Was it like this (you needed to press the unlock button to mobilize it, to be able to start) from when you bought the vehicle?

Guest DiscoTD4
Not all 300s have it. They started fitting it from 1996.

DiscoTd4, there isn't one. This is how it should have looked:

post-1725-1229645286_thumb.jpg

Search for the connector further down the harness (further down on the thick black harness in your picture). See if there's anything plugged in. If there is, follow the wires, maybe the coil was relocated.

If no coil, try to get and fit one.

Was it like this (you needed to press the unlock button to mobilize it, to be able to start) from when you bought the vehicle?

Hi thanks for the info, yes it's always done it. I'll get her out of the garage and have a proper look this morning.

Cheers

mmmm, cant see how that would happen - if its immobilised the red flashing LED comes on - I'd have to be in a pretty dense mood to miss that! It comes on after 20-30 seconds of the key coming out and coincieds with the click from the alarm circutry under the glove box, so unless the LED blew, I'd never try to start it without first immobilising it as the LED is flashing at me. (backed up by the 'spanner in a car' lamp on the dash) (Well, thats how it works on mine anyway.)

I'm gonna try this out today and see what happens.......

Well well, on my 1996 300Tdi 'XS' if I get out and dont use the central locking, just leave the car for a while, then get back in with the 'blipper' in my pocket, I have to press the unlock button on the blipper to start the car. But, if I get back in with the blipper in my hand (same hand as the key is in), as I put the key in it turns off the immobiliser and it starts fine!

Now I never knew about this feature and I'm glad I've found out about it now as it'll save me loads of hassle when working on it - no more reaching in through the window and finding the blipper then pressing the button. Marvelous!

So, mine was made Jan 1996 and it most definately has an exciter coil which looks exactly like Cpix2's photo above and it works - if thats any help with yours DiscoTD4........

Guest DiscoTD4

Many thanks for the help guys, I think I have got to the bottom of things:

It looks like mine never had from new. According to the workshop manual the exciter coil is optional (FFS why !) and it appears mine does not have the alarm, just the immobiliser.

There are no movement sensors or switche on bonnet etc, no LED on the dash or instrument panel and no 'immobiliser' type light on the instrument cluster either (I've had the cluster out to change some bulbs and have gone right through them all).

I put this down to being a 'feature' of an import car as even the bog standard entry level model in 1997 had the alarm.

Also even if I bought an exciter coil, there is not plug to connect to on the loom under the steering column as depicted in the WSM.

So looks like a feature I'll have to live with, at least I know now anyway.