Electrical problems continue!

Paul64

Hi,

Another electrical problem has reared itself and I would be grateful for any ideas as to what it may be. About 3 days ago, when I turned the ignition off and removed the key the engine was still running. It happened intermittently and when i replaced they key it would eventually turn off. However, this has rapidly become worse and now I am having to stall the engine to stop it. Please help!

Cheers,

Paul

remove the fuel shut off soleniod from the injection pump,lift out carefully as the plunger & spring may still be inside the solly or pump, so don't let them drop onto the floor, sometimes you'll find very fine slithers of metal from the pumps roller & cam parts which pressurises & distribute the fuel to the injector pipes, you can flush out any by just hand priming the lift pump, but eventually the injection pump will need a rebuild with the latest spec parts to prevent further problems, mine was done a few years ago & has been fine since, if there's no slithers in the pump, it might be a faulty solleniod playing up. worth changing it as a precuation anyway.

remove the fuel shut off soleniod from the injection pump,lift out carefully as the plunger & spring may still be inside the solly or pump, so don't let them drop onto the floor, sometimes you'll find very fine slithers of metal from the pumps roller & cam parts which pressurises & distribute the fuel to the injector pipes, you can flush out any by just hand priming the lift pump, but eventually the injection pump will need a rebuild with the latest spec parts to prevent further problems, mine was done a few years ago & has been fine since, if there's no slithers in the pump, it might be a faulty solleniod playing up. worth changing it as a precuation anyway.

Hi Ralph, my cousin mentioned the solenoid earlier and I have just been having a look at it. It looks a pig to remove as there is so little room to get a spanner in there! Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

Paul

your right about it being a pain to remove, you need a 24mm open end spanner, which will need a visit to mr grinder to get the length & shape right to make it easier to get onto the solenoid. although it is possible if a grinder to modify the spanner isn't available.

<_<<_< When i had this problem on the old mans 200tdi i used a drift and a Mer to crack the solenoid off and then it wound out with the spanner easily. When i removed the solenoid i found lots of swarf stuck to the plunger as Western says. We stuck a magnet in and cleaned it out but it only lasted a few days before it done it again, new pump it was! Its amazing how they can break up like this, im told its because the of the sulphur level in the diesel these days??

Thanks both for the extra info. I have just ordered a new solenoid and pump, although I can't see it getting here before x-mas. At least its running at the moment, although stopping tends to attract the attention of the villagers!

Cheers, Paul