Help with chassis numbering

CROWN14

Hope this makes sense...

So I am in the US and looking at D1 parts on Paddock, but I frequently run into items what say "to LA081990" and then naturally another part saying "from MA081991".

Well from what I can tell, LA and MA were pre-1994 (when they Disco 1 started in US) so can anyone give a more complete guide to these designations? I dont even know the proper name to call them, chassis numbers, registration numbers? Here it would be reffered to as the last 8 of the VIN but I dont think you in the UK have 17 digit VIN numbers like us.

Here is what I can find regarding NAS trucks:

SALJY128*RA** - 1994 manual

SALJY124*RA** - 1994 auto

SALJY128*SA** - 1995 manual

SALJY124*SA** - 1995 auto

SALJY128*TA** - 1996 manual

SALJY124*TA** - 1996 auto

SALJY128*VA** - 1997 manual

SALJY124*VA** - 1997 auto

SALJY128*WA** - 1998 manual

SALJY124*WA** - 1998 auto

SALJY124*XA** - 1999 auto

Also, and perhaps more importantly, would this number be anywere on my engine? I have what appears to be a '97 model 300 Tdi and I want to find out if it was "to VA117353" or "from VA117354" so I can order the proper parts for it.

Thanks in advance to all, this forum is a great help.

We call them VIN numbers.

I know this is incorrect, as they aren't the full VIN number.

The first letter shows the Model Year (which can be different to the Calendar year).

The second letter (A) shows it was built in Solihull, not as a Complete Knock Down (CKD) kit somewhere in the British Empire.

Yep, the letter is redundant at the moment, but it's there for the future (when TATA create a production plant in India, or China). The digits are just the Serial Number.

As it's the VIN, the number won't be on the engine.

The number could be on a plate riveted under the bonnet somewhere.

It could be on a sticky label, also under the bonnet.

It might be on a label visible through the lower part of the windscreen.

It could be on a label stuck to the lower part of the A pillar, visible when you open the door (RHF in the UK, presumably LHF in the US).

HTH

PS "VIN Number" is also 'incorrect', as it expands to Vehicle Identification Number Number, but it occurs because we use VIN as a word, not as initials, because it's easier.

Cheers.

In most countries they are as follows:

HA is 1991

JA 92

KA 93

LA 94 (last of the 200Tdis)

MA 95 (first of the 300Tdis were MA...)

TA 96

VA 97

WA 98

XA 99

YA 2000

1A 2001

2A 2002 and so on - 3A 4A 5A 6A etc.

Bear in mind it is MODEL year not calendar year, model years run ahead of calendar years mostly starting in about September but sometimes earlier e.g. the first MA's were built in about March or April 1994! NAS vehicles are different vin number format as you already know and I don't have full details for those.

Best bet is to post up details of what bits you need for the engine and we will see what we can do.

Also check out the Calvin vin decoder http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

A UK/ROW vin number for a 1997 300Tdi Discovery would look like SALLJGMF7VA750000